Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Hey look! It's Tree! Hmmmm he looks familiar, doesn't he? Almost as if he was in the original Warriors series.... ;)

    The tom gazed at Luna, his expression thoughtful as he tilted his head. 

       Luna blinked. The tom seemed to radiate calm, his amber eyes unflinching as they met the calico's sharp gaze. Silver fur on his muzzle hinted that he wasn't as young as he appeared to be, but powerful muscles still rippled underneath his sleek pelt as he padded towards Luna, his steps cautious.

        "My name is Tree," he said, dipping his head. He flicked his tail to Branch. "As you know, this is my son."

         Luna nodded, trying to hide a flash of impatience as she glanced outside. Dawn was already approaching, and she shifted on her paws nervously, wondering if Silver had woken up yet.

         Tree's gaze seemed to slide off hers for a moment as his eyes glazed over. He stood as still as a rock, muzzle slightly raised and ears pricked as if looking at something far away. Branch glanced at Luna, before dipping his head to his father. 

         "I think I'd better check on the others," the younger tom murmured before casting an anxious look at Luna. Soon, his form disappeared into the shadows, leaving Luna and Tree alone in the darkness.

         Abruptly, Tree swung his head to look at Luna. The yellow tom blinked at her for a few seconds, before shaking his pelt. "Dawn is here to see you," he meowed softly.

        Luna stumbled back, her paws seeming to turn to stone as she gazed at him in shock. "But she's...she's dead," she whispered, equal parts in fear and in shock. Then, she leapt away, casting a gaze at the empty den. Shafts of sunlight fell onto the stone floor, but all was dark. 

        Tree shrugged, his tail tip flicking as he licked a paw. "I know. But she's here. And she wants to speak to you."

        Luna gazed into the old tom's amber eyes, which blinked back at her, soft and unflinching. 

        "Why is she here? Where is she?" 

         "Why don't you ask her yourself?"

          He flicked his tail, padding aside with his gaze trained on the spot where he had sat earlier. 

          But it wasn't empty. In his place, a slender she-cat with a sleek brown coat and striking grey eyes gazed at Luna, her fur translucent as she padded forward, purring. 

          "Luna," she meowed, seeming to glow with pleasure as she saw her daughter. "It's great to see you again."