Chapter Ten

Luna swayed on her paws, her head dipped and tail drooped in exhaustion. Silver was silent beside her, but she could sense his weariness in his normally bright eyes. They crested the hill, and Luna gave a small meow of relief at the feeling of soft grass underneath her paws, so different from the feeling of hard two-leg stone. 

       She cast a glance back. In the dark, the outline of the two-leg buildings rose sharply into the sky, and she shivered. The night air was crisp, and she raised her head to look at the stars. They were like a promise of life and warmth in the darkness, their light seeming so fragile against the expanse of nothingness. 

       Luna was pulled back into memories; memories of her days spent staring at the same stars, wondering what secrets those silver lights held. She shut her eyes, and for a fleeting second, she could almost smell her mother's scent. 

       She shook her head to clear it, before pulling her thoughts away from the past. She nudged Silver, who was staring at the stars with the same awe. 

        "You should rest. I'll stand guard and look for any signs."

         "You need rest too," Silver meowed in protest.

           Luna turned away, trying to hide the weariness on her face. "It's okay. I'm not that tired," she lied. She scented the air, her chin raised. There was no trace of dog, and she let out a soft breath of relief before padding to a smooth stone that jutted from the bottom of the hill. Silver followed, stopping periodically to pick up twigs and soft leaves in his jaw. 

          The hollow underneath the rock was dry, though the ground was hard underneath Luna's paws. Silver quickly laid down his twigs, building a temporary den. He paused to let out a huge yawn, his eyes dulled with weariness.  

         "Get some sleep, bee-brain," Luna teased, cuffing him gently over the head.

          Silver blinked at her gratefully, before laying his muzzle on his paws. "Wake me up at dawn. I'll hunt while you sleep," he murmured. 

          Soon, soft snores soon filled the den. 

          Feeling suddenly alone, the calico she-cat sighed quietly, before her paws led her out of the cave. Her eyes drifted to the stars, thinking about Dawn's words. 

          The stars didn't seem to lead anywhere; much less form a trail. They were scattered, dotting the sky with no apparent pattern. Frustrated, Luna flicked her tail, running a paw over her knotted fur. 

         She stretched, stifling a yawn. All was quiet over the moor, and from her vantage point on the hill, the twoleg buildings were only looming shadows far away. 

        "Oh Dawn," Luna whispered. "What in the world do you want me to follow? What is the star trail?"

          As she expected, silence greeted her. Luna was just about to turn away and walk back into the den when a voice sounded from behind her.

         "Why are you looking for the star trail?"