Chapter Seventeen

Luna staggered into the bushes, fighting the urge to flop down onto the moss-covered forest floor and finally relieve her aching paws. 

"We're here, Luna," coaxed Silver, his voice weary but still tinged with excitement. He nudged Luna gently, his silver eyes sparkling with pride as he glanced at the new scenery around them. It had been two sun-rises; two full days of walking to finally reach the forest and the lake where the clans were.

Luna raised her head, glancing at the sun above their head. She wondered whether Dawn was watching her and whether her mother was proud. Yet there was a sharp pang of doubt as she gazed on the arching white pine reaching high into the sky and the crisp, blue sky. It reminded her of a moment long ago; when she was a kit and had somehow stumbled into her mother's thoughts...

The memory caused her to hesitate in confusion as she stared at the mottled grass beneath her feet and the vast, endless sky broken only by the graceful, white branches of the pine surrounding her. 

This must be the clan where Dawn was from, she realized with a start.

"Silver," she meowed softly in warning as she scented the air. All was quiet and still, though the unmistakable scent of cats filled the air. She shivered, wondering what if would be like to fight clan cats. 

But I must, she told herself sharply, and she cringed at the thoughts of her claws drawing blood.

Silver unsheathed his claws beside her and glanced at Luna, his tail flicking and silver eyes holding hers in a silent question. 

Luna felt another deep pang of gratefulness towards the loyal grey tom and purred softly. 

"We should go to the two-leg place to rest for now," she meowed, padding away. She cast a wary gaze at the forest, her pelt suddenly prickling. 

"We can come back next sun-up to scout when we're more well-rested," she suggested as Silver dipped his head in agreement. But the prickling sensation didn't leave, nor did the unease as her gaze swept the forest, more carefully this time. Her gaze narrowed, and her claws quickly unsheathed as she caught a shadow moving, to the right of a holly bush. 

She stared, but the forest remained still and silent. 

I'm too tired, I'm hallucinating, she decided, before giving Silver a quick flick of her tail; she gazed at the twoleg place, which seemed so far away in the distance. She felt herself sag, but Silver quickly bounded over to join her.

She turned her back and was just about to leave when a cry echoed, followed by rustling leaves and pawsteps. 

Her eyes flashed as she whirled around, meowing a curse as the forest seemed to explode. 

"ShadowClan, attack!'