Chapter 3: Zahra

Ch 3

I waited for Zahra outside of her school waiting for the final bell to ring. Finally, students in perfect uniforms bounced out of the school headed towards their families' luxury vehicles while older students reached their gleaming new Porsche 911s or environmentally friendly Lexus hybrids. I looked down at my own 2007 Ford pickup truck in disgust. My car snorted as I slightly tapped the gas, remembering the purring of my old car. The 4 series BMW I got for my 16th birthday, just for breathing. I don't know if I was more sad about leaving my car or my pets.

    I caught sight of my sister's platinum curls by the entrance as she talked to some girls a little taller and a little older. I honked twice until she turned around and lifted a manicured finger up in the air motioning for me to wait. I hesitated, then slammed back down on my horn, and Zahra got the memo and walked to the car.

"Milla, stop embarrassing me," she cried climbing into the passenger seat. I gave her a look as I pulled out of the parking spot. She was fair and blonde, while I looked the complete opposite. My black hair was thick and course and my skin olive toned. We didn't look alike, but our mannerisms were exactly the same.

"So you made friends?" I asked hopefully.

"Not really," she said back. "I got signed for free lunch though. Did you find a job?"

"Yeah, I start at 7, might end at 12. Gives Me time to find a day job, maybe school. I'm not sure," I said.

I never had to work a lot in my life. I had a few jobs to build "character" but mostly everything was provided for. I never wanted for anything because I had everything. I wasn't born into money but I wasn't a stranger to the life. My sister, on the other hand, was spoiled. She never knew what it was like to work for something, struggle with rent, or put food on the table. I always wanted to keep her from knowing hardship but where we were that was fairly difficult.

"What do you think Dad is doing right now?" Zahra asked me after a minute.

"Zahra," I warned her. "It's just me and you."

"Yeah, well just because we left doesn't mean--"

"Zahra, cut that shit out," I growled and she shut up.

After our mother died, my relationship with my father slowly burnt out because of our differences and what we thought was right. I left to give my sister a chance at a clean life and selfishly for me as well, but I didn't regret it.

"This is it," I said as we drove into the trailer park and Zahra's eyes were as round as saucers.

"This?" she asked as if it was some kind of prank but she bit her tongue.

It was a serious downgrade from our home in Westchester, it didn't compare to our penthouse across from Central Park, but it very much resembled the home I was born in and nothing Zahra was used to.

"Are we really never going home?," she asked seriously.

"Zahra," I turned to look at her. "This is home."

***

LOL so this is pretty short, next one will definitely be longer I'm just having HORRIBLE writer's block. Maybe ill update next week if I can figure out my life.

Thanks for reading!

As always like, vote, and comment !!