19. Drive Home

Khushi got in Arnav's car, the same car from two years ago. Khushi told him where the hotel was and he drove. The drive there was quiet.

Why won’t he say anything, she wondered.

She’d assumed he might have said at least one thing about the kiss, but he didn’t say a single word.

Better if he doesn’t. Hum se kya?

They areived to the hotel and before Khushi could even thank him, he got out of the car, went around, and opened the door for her.

“Wow,” Khushi said, once she got out of the car, “ASR is a gentleman?”

“Very funny,” he said, sarcastically.

“Oh, sarcasm too? Hmm… I like it.”

Arnav rolled his eyes. “Anyways, I’m not leaving until I see Arshi.”

Khushi frowned at him. Really? She rolled her eyes. “Follow me.”

They went through the lobby and went up the elevator. It was quiet and awkward on the way up, especially since Khushi was staying on the top floor, in the Presidential Suite.

Every now and then, Khushi would look at Arnav from the corner of her eyes, but Arnav remained still and looked out. The back of the elevator was all glass and you could look out to the city, all its lights shining.

Why am I getting all tensed for, Khushi thought. Who cares! So what if he’s not looking at me, and she just looked straight at the door.

Truth is Arnav was looking at her, glancing at her slyly. She was wearing a navy blue t-shirt, white cardigan that was lacy on the back and was sleeveless and black jeggings. Her clothes were clinging onto her from the wetness, outlining her body.

They arrived to the top floor and entered the suite.

“Soni! Arshi! I’m home,” Khushi called out.

There was music playing and Soniya and Arshi were dancing in the other room. They came in and Khushi picked Arshi up and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

“How’s my baby girl today,” Khushi asked.

Arshi smiled. “Amm!”

Arshi noticed Arnav and reached out to him. He took her and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Arshi smiled and Arnav began to tickle her stomach, causing Arshi to giggle like crazy, and Khushi stared in awe.

So cute, she sighed.

Khushi quickly realized that she was pouring wet and quickly changed into her pjs. She came out to find Arnav, lightly patting Arshi to sleep. She was lying down on the sofa, her head on Arnav’s lap.

“She fell asleep already,” Khushi asked.

Arnav looked up at Khushi. “Yeah, she was tired.”

Khushi smiled and sat down beside him on the arm rest. “She can be pretty stubborn sometimes. She always waits till I get home.”

Arnav smiled lightly. “She’s like her mom.”

“Hey I’m not stubborn!”

“Yeah right.”

Khushi twitched her mouth and looked away. Arnav smirked and picked Arshi up.

“Where’s her room,” he asked.

Khushi led him to Arshi’s room and he put her down. Khushi put some pillows around her and Arnav looked at her, confused.

“Oh, well, Arshi tends to move a lot.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, but if she cuddles into someone, then she’s completely still. She’ll just hold onto you and… yeah.”

Arnav stroked Arshi’s hair and had a look on his face. From the look of it, Khushi could tell that Arnav wished he could have his daughter by him. She felt bad for a moment, but she decided not to think about it. All of a sudden, she remembered something.

“Why did you get so worried?”

“What do you mean?”

“Before, when I nearly got hit-”

“Khushi…” but he hesitated. He stood up. “I’m gonna go now… I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He left and Khushi sighed. Why can’t you ever say out loud what's in your heart?