afterMath

Summary: Twelve years ago, rookie police officer Jace does not like his partner harassing a mutant but goes along with it. In the present, he suggests the Purifiers win over the public by rounding up the fugitive mutants that escaped from the mental hospital. At the clinic, Caitlin and Johnny treat the hospital escapees and Lauren, who is distraught about Andy. When the Purifiers attack, they are forced to let one mutant die to keep themselves hidden before the Purifiers flee from approaching police. Stealing some files, Jace comes up with another plan. Meanwhile, the Inner Circle prepares their new mutant Rebecca/Twist for her role in their plans but she is unresponsive. Andy takes her out for her first taste of freedom in years as she was the clinic's most dangerous patient. She shows Andy her power of turning things inside out and they destroy a police car together, kissing when they return. Clarice takes the other patients to hide with the Morlocks. Erg takes them on the condition they brand a "M" mark into their cheeks, disgusting Marcos. Erg also encourages "Blink" to not hide who she is, like she does with the Mutant Underground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twelve years ago, in Dallas, Texas, Jace Turner, then a rookie cop, is being mentored by his more experienced partner. They both notice a suspicious teenage mutant at a nearby liquor store and decide to confront him. When he doesn't fully cooperate with them (mainly due to feeling harassed), Jace's partner teases him, much to Jace's abhorrence. His partner, however doesn't care given his hatred of mutants due to the death of his previous partner who was killed by a mutant driver they pulled over for a broken taillight a few years prior. He then orders Jace to arrest him, which he does with great reluctance.

In the present, Jace gets in invitation to a Purifier meeting while watching a man on TV rant about mutants. At first he doesn’t reply. But then he hears that one of the ‘escaped’ patients from Lynwood secretes acid for blood. Jace agrees to go to the meeting.

At the meeting, the group gets aggressive when they talk about mutants. They believe the attack at Lynwood was a terrorist attack. They are planning an attack on the mutant protesters. Jace tells everyone that fighting with protests will make the mutants look like victims. He suggests that they round up the escaped mutants. The mutants are dangerous and they need to get them off of the streets. The Purifiers decide to go to the mutant friendly clinics, then take the mutants to the police. That makes them a part of the solution and not the problem.

John took Lauren to the mutant friendly clinic, along with other injured mutants from Lynwood. Caitlin and Reed check on Lauren who has a mild concussion. She leaves to help with the other mutants and grills John about why Andy is not with them. John says they did the best they could, but there was too much going on.

Marcos and Clarice discuss what to do with the healthy mutants from Lynwood. The police are on high alert looking for the patients. They can’t get out of town and they don’t have the resources to house everyone. Clarice suggest they ask for help from the Morlocks. Marcos doesn’t like it, but they don’t have any other options.

Andy watches the news with Polaris and the Frosts. The report is about the attack on Lynwood and they mention the hashtag Mutant Uprising. The girls seemed pleased with the coverage, but Andy isn’t so sure. He’s worried about Lauren. Polaris says Lauren is fine. He should be proud of their mission.

Esme informs everyone that their new guest, Rebecca isn’t talking. She’s the key to Reeva’s next step, but she’s been traumatized. The Frosts and Polaris try to force her out of her PTSD, but she’s scared. Andy tells them they need to give her time and treat her like a person instead of a weapon. He wants to try and talk to her. Esme agrees.

Reed takes Lauren home. She tells him about the encounter with Andy. Lauren was so sure she could get through to Andy, but he’s a believer.  And he’s not going to let the Struckers stop him, not even Lauren.

Clarice breaches the group to the sewers. Erg isn’t happy to see them.  Clarice leaves with Erg to talk. As part of their deal, she gives him a list of mutants they’ve helped and their powers. Then she asks for his help by taking in the mutant refugees. She is able to convince Erg to take in the mutant refugees, but there is a cost. Clarice has to transport Erg to a warehouse where he can gather food and supplies.

Marcos sits with the mutant refugees and they ask about the group that saved them. He doesn’t give much information other than it’s the Inner Circle. One of the mutants tells him about the hospital. She was arrest because she makes light orbs and people freaked out at a concert. One of the jurors wouldn’t convict her, so they diagnosed her as manic and sent her to Lynwood.

Clarice returns and says Erg is allowing the refugees to stay. There is one condition. Those who stay must take the Morlock mark on their face. The refugees agree to his terms. While they wait to mark the refugees, Erg asks Clarice what she can do. Clarice says she blinks. He tells her that Clarice is a human name. Erg tells her to never hide who she is. He calls her Blink.

The mutant who secretes acid is having trouble breathing. The doctor cannot work on him because of the acid. John is the only one can touch him long enough to put a needle in his chest. They need answers from him about the mutant that the Inner Circle took.

John has burns on his hands. Caitlin dresses his wounds and asks why he’s so eager to redeem himself. Atlanta, losing Andy and Polaris, none of it was his fault. The mutant, Michael wakes up. He tells them that the mutant’s name is Rebecca. They kept her drugged up and locked up tight. He tells them one of the psychiatrists, Dr. Taylor, was sympathetic to the mutants. That’s all of the information they can get out of him.

Caitlin gets Michael stabilized, but John detects trouble so they have to move him into the secret room to hide him. When they get in the room, they watch the cameras to see who brought the trouble. It’s the Purifiers led by Jace. The Purifiers force their way into the clinic. John attempts to go out and help the clinic staff, but Caitlin says Jace can’t know they are there.

The Purifiers attack one of the doctors, but Jace stops them. He asks about a hospital bed that looks burned. Jace is sure it was done by acid. At the same time, Michael’s breathing gets bad again. They have to insert another needle, but can’t get outside. Caitlin says he can hold on until the Purifiers are gone.

There are no patients at the clinic, so Jace takes some files. They hear sirens so the Purifiers leave. John is ready to get Michael back on the table, but he has died. Caitlin lied about Michael’s condition to keep John calm. Even Michael knew he was dying.

Andy tries to reach out to Rebecca. He shows her what he can do. He tells her about his family at home and how they didn’t understand him. The Inner Circle is his new family. Rebecca opens up and shows him her power. She has the ability to turn objects inside out or upside down. Rebecca feels comfortable enough with Andy to get up and walk around. Andy shows her around the headquarters, realizing that she hasn’t seen the outside world in a long time. Rebecca still feels trapped so Andy plans a trip outside of HQ.

Andy takes her to get a hamburger. She starts to warm up to him and tells him more about her powers. Two cops show up and Rebecca turns their car inside out. Andy gets a little uncomfortable. Rebecca asks to see what Andy can do, so he tears the cop car apart and it explodes. They run away before the cops can see them.

When they return to HQ, Rebecca kisses Andy for make feel normal. When they meet the Frosts and Polaris, Rebecca says she feels like herself again. She asks what they need her to do. They take her back to the training room where Rebecca turns a safe inside out. Everyone looks happy, but Polaris.

Later, Jace looks over the files from the clinic. He calls someone to let them know he found out where they live.