Chapter 31: good for you

- Eden? What are you doing ? Let hum go, he's an idiot

- Eden? What are you doing ? Let hum go, he's an idiot. Protest my brother by grabbing my hand. He tries to hold me back, but for whatever reason, I try to get out of his grip.

- He needs me. My gaze settles Ian's who looks disgusted by my conclusion.

- What? it makes nonsense, Eden. This guy is dangerous for you. Annoyed, he squeezes my wrist a little harder. It's starting to hurt and scares me.

- Not as dangerous as you. Let me go and right now.

The little bar is almost empty and the waitress stares at us, probably telling herself that I need help. That's not the case, my older brother just has extrapolated reactions.

- If you follow him in his darkness, he will break you, Eden. His blue eyes leave a surprising concern.

- My soul is as black as his, and you know why. By throwing this sentence, I emerge quickly and run to the exit.

The cold weather of November strikes me in the face and I regret leaving my jacket in Ian's car. I cross my arms against my chest, placing my hands under my shoulders and rubbing in a quick momentum to warm myself up. Damn it, Jake. Where are you ?

The bar is in the middle of nowhere and I have a view of thousands of trees. My breaths generate a thick white mist. I can't help but look around for a man who has been avoiding me since the beginning, but who has also been more present than my family. I hate this idea, but I must admit: Jake makes me feel hatred and attracted. Why ? I can't explain it. It is said that it falls on you without warning. I have never believed it until today.

This anxiety that I feel in the depths of my being is unreal. Never, I had felt that for someone. I always thought that I lacked empathy. Which is wrong, because Jake is the one that gives birth to all the unimaginable emotions in the world, in one second. He attracts me, even if I took time to realize or rather to admit such a thing, I know it now.

- What are you doing here? The surprise and the relief of hearing his voice makes me jump. I push, then, a relieved breath.

- I ... I was looking for you. My voice is shaky. Is it because of the cold or the uncertainty of my act? Was I right to follow him? Maybe not.

- Why would you do that? Haven't you understood yet, Eden? Stay away from me. He says with an authoritative voice.

I can hardly distinguish him because he is hidden in the darkness. Under the lamppost of the front of the bar, I try my best to see him. Only a dark silhouette appears in my visual field. Jake wears a black beannie that reveals rebellious and curly locks on his forehead. So here I am one meter away from him. We are together in the darkness of the night.

- I don't want to. My eyes are up to his face slumped with alcohol. I contemplate him as best as I can.

Jake stares at his feet and his features are pulled by fatigue. With his hands in the pockets of his jeans, he swings back and forth. I take a step forward to approach him, but he starts a step back.