the Lone Wanderer (rewritten)

POV the Lone Wanderer

the sky hung overhead, the day drawing on further as I followed Messa. "This path?" I asked. "will it get us to the other side?" I asked. 

"Yep!" she said happily. 

"How long was ago was it when you said you last saw the courier?" I asked. 

"bout a week or so why?" she asked. 

I thought for a moment. "So...he was here how long before he ran into you?" I asked. 

"I think it was the same day," Messa answered. 

I stopped. "That's not possible, he's been missing for years," 

Messa looked confused. "he was certain...how did you get here?" 

megaton the cold winter of capital wasteland, so much growth, but so much loss, Megaton was thriving, I stood at the doorway, and Moria Brown stood with me, the cold had gotten to her more than me, she stood wrapped in a patchy winter coat with a scarf, drinking some warm liquid from a mug. "you should really be dressed warm you know,"

I shrugged. "Never really felt the cold," I said. I leaned down and pet dogmeat. "Thanks for sticking with Moria, you're a good friend," 

"The least I can do, you've helped me a lot over the years," Moria said. "You got everything you need?" she asked. 

"To walk to Boston? yeah hopefully," I answered. "Need to warn them about the brotherhood, maybe I'll find Madison out there, after all, she's the last link I have to Dad, especially now Moriarty is gone," 

Moria nodded. "never really liked him myself but to die like that, those brotherhood Knights..."

"Sarah would be shamed if she could see them now," I muttered. "My armour readying?" I asked.

"Yep! took time to find the parts but one newly repaired suit of T60 Lions Pride Power armour," Moria said. "Waiting for you at  your house," 

I smiled at her. "Thanks, Moria...Look after dogmeat for me," 

"Yeah, he'll be fine won't you boy," Moria said, and the dog barked at her. 

"make sure to take him to see Fawkes weekly," I added. 

that night I rose from bed at 1 am, activated my power armour, storing it for now in my pipboy storage capacitor, I walked out of home one last time, locking the door, I hooked my gauss rifle over my shoulder, my 10mm pistol attached to my hip. 

my hunting rifle was stored with my armour, along with an assault rifle, Megaton in the dead of night was quiet, I waved at the few who were there waved at me and I waved back, I reached the gate and took one last long look at my home, and left.

the wasteland was healing with project purity water, not a lot but even some trees were starting to turn green again, not with radiation either, Boston, here I come. 

travelling left me a lot of time to think, a few months after the courier disappeared, Sarah, Veronica and Lucy, were saying goodbye to me. "Sure you won't come?" Sarah asked. 

"Both of us? that's asking for someone to attack the capital, you go, I'll take the next try," I said, stretching.

Sarah brushed the long dark red hair out of my eyes so she could see them clearly, and she kissed me on the cheek. "you're living up to your name, 'lone wanderer' Please come," 

I smiled dimly at the woman I loved. "Please Sarah, I need to stay here, you'll be back in a few months and when you are, we'll spend time together," I said taking her hands in mine.