Chapter 16: A Big Second Test

The heart is the guiding key, but only the mind will lead it to the door.

Koruno City's greatest crisis manifests itself in front of everyone's eyes: like bats out of hell, armies of Amartoloí spawn sporadically from within Main Square. Mawile and her team, with game faces in place, realize that there is no clear method to break down the vortex, thus requiring a development of a strategy. Checking on his new allies, Chesnaught nods his head to show his interest in the strategization phase. Espeon waves her paw to her comrade, inviting his presence towards the small circle she formed with her teammates.

"We need to find a way to break that vortex. Judging by its size, there must be some sort of mini-dungeon we can access."

"That's right. Our scientists had found that there are cores inside vortexes of that size. According to their collective analysis, we need to smack it like crazy to crack open a path inside, while at the same time keeping the Amartoloí distracted."

"Was that why you told us to distract them previously, Espeon?"

"Indeed, Mawile. The Amartoloí respond to attacks made at their spawnpoints, gaining bursts of energy that increase their offensive and defensive capabilities. That's the reason I suggested we took those smaller ones out quickly."

"And that big one?"

"Just as Chesnaught explained. Break it through and tear that core apart."

"You're supposed to be more strategic than that. Where're your 'wise' routes?"

"None of those exist for big vortexes, Pikachu. Anyway, Salamence is about to land, so get set for a big fight."

"I'm up for it!"

"Sure you are, Gardevoir."

Staring at the platoons of Amartoloí controlling every de facto hardpoint in the square, Chesnaught studies the position of each enemy group closely, judging how and where should his allies team up. After settling on his opening aggression, he raises his thumb towards them to signal the beginning.

"As soon as I land, we're going all in. Ready, guys?"

"We're set, Sala. Let's get it on!"

Chesnaught, the Kommo-o officers, Scorbunny, and Mawile's team jump off Salamence's back, fully prepared for the deadly battle in front of them. No turning back. No running away. With Koruno City's very existence at stake.

Through aerial support, Salamence begins the counter-aggression by unloading a flurry of Hydro Pump bursts towards four Amartoloí platoons on the right flank, giving his infantry counterparts the chance to unleash their collective fury. The Battle of Koruno had truly commenced.

Ignoring the roars and glares exuded by the Amartoloí, Mawile charges forward with Iron Head, pushing away her foes with piercing force. Espeon's deeply concentrated Psychic elevates another platoon of Amartoloí form the left flank, allowing Gardevoir to shoot precisely aimed Moonblasts against her enemies, one by one, backflipping to avoid incoming projectiles. While Pikachu breaks other platoons apart through his Extreme Speed, Mawile fends off a nearby group by swinging one Amartoloí towards its allies using Thunder Fang, flinging her electrically-charged ally towards her enemies at surprising speeds. The Kommo-o officers combine their Clanging Scales to amplify the radius of the glimmer's shine, wiping out waves of Amartoloí from the southern flank clean. Just nearby, Chesnaught and Scorbunny utilized a clever trick to double their attack efficiency against their targets: by jumping on top of the general's Spiky Shield, Scorbunny blasted rounds upon rounds of Embers as though she was a living submachine gun, erasing Amartoloí coming from behind as Chesnaught charged his way towards those in front of him with oppressing force. Twenty minutes into this grueling conflict, the resistance dwindled slowly due to the constant spawning of newer, stronger versions of the Amartoloí that were defeated earlier.