Chapter 27: Through Abandoned Soil

A long overdue embrace calls for the need to reconnect.

In front of the squadron of six lies the deteriorating Shizuoka Village, run down by the many crimes that took place during its melancholic history. Sylveon stares at the damage that the city sustained, appalled by its dire extent and lack of basic maintenance. Breezes of dust and trash swim across the waterless sea that exists within the city limits, infecting the air quality on a daily basis. Greninja, aware of the risks involved while venturing in such a dangerous region of the continent, reaches into his Soldier Sack to pull out six all-fit face masks, giving out five of them to his escortees so they can protect themselves.

"As you can tell, this city's been completely torn apart. All the destroyed shops, homes, and the local school; the rubble that sits on the ground is all that's left."

"Damn... this looks so depressing... I can imagine the desperation of the residents who had to get the hell out of this place."

"I was more concerned for the children of Shizuoka; there were many reports of young Pokémon, including those that barely hatched from Eggs, who died from criminals and supernatural activity."

"So am I, Lucario. Families are still heavily targeted when they set foot around these parts, no matter what background they possess."

"So much for being inspired by something honorable..."

"Relax, Sylvy. There will always be the chance to rebuild this place. It's just not the best time right now."

"Yeah... I guess..."

Continuing their trek through the beatdown streets of Shizuoka Village, Greninja quickly swings his arm in front of his allies, calling for them to halt their movement. Sensing footsteps that slowly creep on them from the left flank, he orders their presence.

"No need to sneak up on us. Just show yourselves."

"Ya think you're that confident to sniff us out, hunh!?"

"This ain't the place for ya social justice warriors to take over!"

A pair of Ursaring stomp their way towards Greninja and his allies, deeply annoyed by their arrival. Crossing their arms in a sulky manner, they question the recon's ambitions as they inch closer and closer to his face.

"Quit acting like ya some chill dude who ain't scared! Get y'all's asses outta here or we'll claw ya apart!"

"Whatcha gonna do!? Hunh!?"

"I got a better idea. I'll take both of you on. Two against one. Surely you can't pass up on that, eh?"

The other five travelers look at each other in a curious state, unsure as to how Greninja can handle both Usuaring at once, even with his natively superior speed. Meanwhile, the twin bears snarl eagerly on Greninja's offer, ready to pounce on their target.

The three fighters walks towards Shizuoka Village's main intersection, taking their positions on opposite entry points. The Ursaring glare at a calculated Greninja who carefully gazes their body languages.

The moment they swing their claws, the stealthy frog makes his move.