Chapter 28: Sierra Base

'Free' has a price, one more expensive than money can buy.

The riders hang on for dear life as Blastoise charges through the Shizuoka Pipeline system at blistering speeds. Twisting and turning through the narrow waterways plagued by sorrow and pain, the admiral churns through the thick water surrounding his body, while his passengers frantically search for the most stable grip to stay afloat. Surfing behind him, Greninja instructs Obstagoon and the Linoone duo to line up in front of and beside Blastoise to provide cover for the admiral's blind spots.

"Holy crap, Greninja wasn't kidding!"

"Waaaah!"

"Calm down, Sylvy! Don't you dare let go of him!"

"I'm trying!"

"Hawlucha, Lucario, puking is not an option!"

"Easy for you to say..."

"Oi, Hawlucha, keep your beak closed!"

Obstagoon performs a 180-degree spin to Surf in backstroke, checking on Blastoise and his passengers. Worried of the invasive panic that overflows the pipeline, he calls for the admiral's attention to the commotion.

"Admiral, aren't you traumatizing those guys too much? There's gonna be a crap ton of barfing on route to base!"

"They'll get the hang of it. You can trust me on that."

"Ya sure about that? That Sylveon over there's swinging herself like a wobbling flywheel, and the Hawlucha can't hold his barf much longer!"

"It's all good. I've had those types of riders all the time."

"...if you insist."

Unsure how to respond to Blastoise's confident outlook, Obstagoon reverts his body forwards, resuming his assigned role. Greninja glances at his allies' craze-filled experience, unable to resist the temptation to chuckle.

"It ain't that respectful when my passengers are hanging on for dear life, Greninja."

"Ahem. My sincere apologies, Admiral."

"Ya know, you're reminding me of your cadet days."

"How so?"

"You and your buddies couldn't find a group when you all first enlisted in boot camp, and only did so when you suggested to create y'all's own."

"But what does my reaction have to do with the past?"

"You don't usually joke a lot, but there was word that watching others' reactions forced you to chuckle. You couldn't help it."

"I don't recall myself laughing in such secrecy..."

"We'll save that for another time, then. The riders are probably mad at us for chatting like this, so let's just focus on returning to base."

"Understood."

Churning through the contaminated waterways, Blastoise swings left at the first intersection he comes across, then jolts to the right at the next crossroad. Surging straight for the remainder of the trip, the admiral spots two yellow light bars flashing in the distance.

"You guys see those flashing bonds? We're on path to reach Sierra Base. It won't take much longer from that point!"