Chapter 26: The Great Escape

Legacies will stand the test of time, no matter how old or young the deceased are.

"Now how in the hell do we get through this?"

"The best way's to stay together while we march inside that maze-like structure."

"How'd you figure out that that's a maze in front of us?"

"Look at the walls. Don't they line up in an oddly specific outline?"

"You got a point. Seems like they formed into some labyrinth. I dunno if those purple things will spawn at dead ends or in the middle of the pathways, but I vote that we oughta be on our guard no matter what."

"Hear, hear. No use trying to split up and risk dying alone."

"Who will lead us through this maze?"

"Let Sylveon and Lucario do it. They both have the advantage to detect movements, with her feelers and his aura."

"I'm down for that. Come on, Lucario!"

"On my way."

Sylveon and Lucario are the first two Pokémon to lead the group into the dark-purple labyrinth imposing in front of them. Deciphering the entry point, they wave their comrades to follow them to the left upon venturing inside. The narrow space inside the labyrinth enforces its claustrophobic energy upon the group, compressing their bodies to barely pass through as comfortably as possible.

"Damn, this maze is tighter than I had imagined..."

"I'd imagine humans having major trouble traversing cramped spaces like this..."

"How much? I honestly don't fully understand their struggles."

"Mom told us one time about the differences in male and female organs that exist among humans. For females, the chest can be a problem if they are a certain size."

"Wait up, is your mother really that interested in such things?"

"Hmm? Your face got real red there, Lucario."

"N-no, it's not what you think! It just caught me off-guard."

"Not cool, bro. Now is not the time to be fantasizing on such stuff."

"Shut up, Hawlucha! You know that's the wrong idea!"

Waves of laughter seep through the small space inside the pathway as Lucario's face continues to blush heavily. The group approaches a T-intersection, and upon arrival debate on which turn they must make.

"Alright, guys. Do we go right or left?"

"We ought to think about the possibilities first; one path maybe longer but safer to traverse, while the other is faster but potentially filled with enemies. Based on what items we have right now, we gotta choose wisely."

"Sis and I have at least three packs of Sitrus Berries and three bottles of Max Elixir. And you guys?"

"We've got enough provisions ourselves, so we should be good for either pick."

"OKay, then. We'll go left for this one."

"Go for it."

Electing to proceed through the left path, Sylveon chaperones the other group members using her feelers as detectors. Finding that the incoming T-intersection is just ahead, she raises her left feelers to halt her comrades after sensing an irregular flow of energy. Stepping at a molasses pace, Sylveon finds a dark purple swirl leaking from the floor. She gingerly moves her head closer to the swirl, inspecting the energy that is being exerted. One instant later, a rapid flash makes her jump in surprise.