Chapter 31: The Altercation

A new light leaves behind an old void.

Making the first assault, Glaceon charges towards Mawile with a full-power Iron Tail, only to whiff as Mawile tumbles away from danger like a champion gymnast. She follows up on her evasion by performing an Iron Head rush, which Glaceon holds back using her Iron Tail. Holding Mawile at bay, she lunges her smaller adversary away from contact, forcing the youth to regain footing to adjust her position.

"You're not actually trying, huh?"

"I am. I simply wish to see how you express yourself."

Reading Glaceon's incoming Shadow Ball, Mawile unleashes a swiftly-timed Sucker Punch, disrupting her foe's concentration and slamming the freezing quadruped back-first into the ground. Glaceon rises from the cold dirt, wiping off the small droplets of sweat from her neck. An intense urge of excitement boils throughout her veins as she launches a brigade of Ice Shards, blocking Mawile's field of vision. The pressure builds for the team's leader, as the massive dome of ice increases its frigid power at a dangerously consistent pace. Mawile begins to feel the frigid pressure that Glaceon exerts, as her eyes shiver in anxiety.

Forging her next assault, Mawile charges her ponytail with electricity in order to gnaw Glaceon with a Thunder Fang. Refusing to allow her a chance at a free attack, Glaceon launches a denser wave of Ice Shards. Even with the harsh conditions in front of her, Mawile slowly but surely marches through the frozen bullets that pelt her body like a barrage of hate comments on a social media platform. She winces her eyelids tightly, struggling to find a good balance of protection and clear vision with every step.

Mawile pants. Panting in irritation. Panting under stress.

Despite the pain, the brave warrior pushes forward, once again breaking past the Ice Shard brigade through sheer will and determination. She finds a small but visible opening as she inches closer and closer towards her target. Without thinking twice, she makes her next move.

"You persistent girl! Even the hardest of steel cannot withstand my sheer cold. And don't try to lecture me on type advantages."

"No time for that. You gotta open up that jail of yours when I take you down."

"My, my. I must credit you for your bravery. However, like any naughty child, you need a good spanking!"

"Try me."

With a sly smile reaching both sides of her face, Glaceon hardens her tail once again for another assault. Just as she begins to burst towards her target, an unexpected disruption forces her to shift her focus.

"Who are you!? And what do you think you're doing to Mawile!?"

"Damn it! Another one of you naughty children."

"Gossifleur! Weren't you back to resting?"

"I was, but I heard some ice cracking outside the town. Need a hand?"

"Distract her for me. I need to break away the dome right behind me. She jailed my teammates inside!"

"What the hell!? I'll go to work right away! I'll make that old hag tire herself out so I can put her to sleep!"

"Alright! I'm counting you!"

"Tch! At least you seem simpler to deal with."