Chapter 20: In the Heat of It

Unraveling themselves amongst the chaos, monsters of light seal away freedom.

"Now that we're all here, we might as well let all hell break loose!"

"Easy for you to say, Lopunny. That asshole won't go down to an OP strat."

"I'm sure it would. Even if Amartoloí can materialize into super tall towers of shadiness, getting rid of them will not take too long. Right, Noctowl?"

"Indeed. No matter what advantage this fiend possesses, we will forge a way to defeat it! En garde, everyone!"

Thru Noctowl's vibrating command, the seven Pokémon launch their united offensive against the malicious Boss Amartoloí. Gardevoir and Espeon commence the assault by launching rounds of Shadow Balls and Moonblasts to deal ranged damage to the giant, followed by Noctowl's application of a Feather Dance to provide defensive support. Aiming his sights on the enemy's feet, Chesnaught thrusts his Seed Bombs as an artificial stun tactic. His eyes twitch upon realizing the success of his efforts, and immediately motions Mawile and Pikachu to make some sort of move. Before they could attack, however, the Boss Amartoloí performs back-to-back arm swings that force its seven petite targets to dodge its sinister strength. Noctowl expresses worry for the potential dangers of the pillar in front of them by reminding the risk of exhausting their supply of items, especially the Sitrus Berries.

"Wait a moment! We cannot burn through our provisions so quickly, General! Think of their health!"

"You're right on that. Anyone got a recovery move on a pinch?"

Hearing the trigger question gleamed Gardevoir's pupils like newborn stars as she instantly raises her right hand to respond to the general's plea.

"You could've just told me that sooner! Allow me to heal you all!"

"What's with these unrealistically random movesets!?"

"There's no use trying to debate it right now. Just let it happen!"

Aiming her hands to the terrain behind her, Gardevoir releases a Heal Pulse to make it act as a regeneration veil for her allies. She quickly motions her left arm to Mawile and Pikachu to hurry them over to the veil and regain their health.

"This pseudo veil won't last for long, so take advantage of the healing for as much as you can!"

"Got it! Get over here, Pikachu!"

Snapping her right hand to Pikachu's left, Mawile drags her teammate to the veil in order to heal. Taking deep breaths after the mandatory mad dash, the pair chat about strategic preparations.

"As much as you despise these kinds of chats, we gotta find the weak spot to that Amartoloí. Also, it looks like Lopunny gave you something good when she touched down."

"I swear this feels like some staged 'friendship' trope. It's so damn annoying. But whatever. What now?"

"There's a combo I had in mind, but I don't think you have Volt Tackle in your moveset, do you?"

"Everyone's movesets confuse the shit out of me anyway. They aren't consistent."

"Heh. Well, back to my point: the chance to destroy that bastard does exist. It'll take a bit of work to get rid of it. That being said, why don't you boost me using your Extreme Speed? Now hear me out before you go off on your little rants: all I do is stand on your back or head while you use that attack. You jump high, then I jump off."