Chapter Twenty-Three

Archibald gets off his horse and eyes the Nolan castle as he hears a drunken Crane scream out.

"my cousin!"

Crane trips forward and Archibald stares him over as he helps Esa off her horse and Crane eyes the girl asking.

"and, a lady?"

Archibald comments staring down his cousin knowingly.

"my future bride."

Crane laughs pointing to his cousin as he comments.

"but not yet a bride."

Archibald pulls Esa close and motions to Crane.

"and this gentleman is my half cousin his honorably King Crane"

Crane comments as he stares down Esa and eyes her over.

"red hair, blue eyes. do my eyes see a Crane beauty?"

Esa laughs looking to the floor as she comments.

"aye, my king..."

Crane walks up to her placing out his hand and she leans over kissing his ring as he comments motioning to Archibald.

"such a soft kiss but-"

He grips her neck staring her over and asks his cousin.

"a gutter? I assumed you'd marry a Nair or a half-sister. the O'Sullivan's do like to breed with their own. I guess a far cousin is equivalent and how could I not approve of such beauty for my cousin."

Crane holds Esa by the face staring her over as he comments to Archibald.

"although a king has right to lay with any wed woman before her husband. perhaps I will have to come on your wedding day cousin."

Archibald remains quiet as Esa looks down and Crane asks.

"the right of the lord. what say you girl, would you deny your king?"

Esa remains quiet and Crane stares her down seeming to be annoyed as he asks.

"how many years do you have, girl?"

Crane yells out.

"answer your king!"

Esa stutters out staring over Crane.

"15."

Crane smiles as he stares toward Archibald and comments.

"a young bride and fertile no doubt. ensuring your kingdom reigns on?"

Archibald nods his head and motions to Crane.

"and you?"

Crane motions in as he comments.

"Hannah Nolan..."

Archibald smile drops as he comments.

"Hannah?"

Crane motions inside and they begin walking side by side as Esa walks behind. Cane comments glancing around the nice halls of the Nolan castle.

"aye, for political reasons I will ensure Edmond is made aware of why. I don't wish to step on his property as Hannah should be."

Crane stops by some doors and motions inside to Esa.

"go ahead girl find yourself a seat-"

Esa goes to walk but Crane stops her and whispers.

"remember you are a Crane you represent me and Archibald, manners."

He removes his hand and motions as Esa walks inside the large doors and Crane looks over Archibald remaining quiet as Archibald shakes his head.