Book Two: The plateau Chapter One

Archibald sips his drink taking in the older man's word.

"The battle will commence at midday on the 23rd of the month in December." 

Archibald holds up his hand and the man stops himself and asks.

"Why do I receive this message?"

"a battle for the monarch is a historical event. all royalty must attend. it has been almost 150 years since the last one the day the Galvin's defeated the O'Sullivan's and claimed the monarchy."

"you wish me to attend to watch some Galvin's kill each other for their father's throne-"

"Edmond, he is one of the fighters-"

"Edmond?"Archibald says sounding concerned and the old man continues speaking.

"yes, he will battle through the Galvin children to prove his worth to contest the throne. of course, he will only need to kill one of his opponents, the last one, the one chosen by the queen, her majesty Lady Galvin,"

"and who is her chosen Galvin?"

"no one is aware yet she says she will announce it if Edmond wins the duels."

"my brother will win-"

"no one doubts lord Edmond skill trained by some of the best swordsmen in the monarch but Queen Galvin has everyone at her disposal. many think it would be wise for Edmond to remove his contest-"

"is that so?"

"The O'Sullivan's had their time of absolute rule and it was spent warmongering, conquering, murdering-"

Archibald remains quiet and the man speaks softly.

"it is the very reason why so many clans are now related, the great taint on this monarchy will stand for years because of the rule of O'Sullivan. no one in the higher circle wants to go back to the tainted age."

"tainted?" Archibald's eyes shift and the man nods.

"over half the current kings my lord are somehow related and more than half of those have O'Sullivan blood..."

 "with that said should I mark your attendance."

"I follow the rules of the monarch I will be present and bare witness to the new age and new ruler of the monarch whoever  that may be-"

"yes. well, there is one other matter I thought I may have your ear on-"

"speak of it then-"

"The Cranes have concluded their new ruler.."

"a cousin I presume?"

"no, the name has been in whispers but it has been confirmed to be Sallione crane, my lord."

"impossible she has been dead for many months"

"it has been in whispers but rumor has been she was very much alive but kept away from eyes."

"then I will ride to crane city and see it for myself-"

"no need if the rumor is true then she will be upon Galvin city like all others as is her duty lord O'Sullivan and may I remind petty matters are kept out of Galvin walls. do best to remember or face the fire lines." 

Archibald nods his head and the messenger removes himself from the king's presence. He sits there thinking over what he hears and screams out.

"Ready my horse!"

                                                                          ***************************** 

Alvis sits next to his father's bed eyeing the sick man and hears a voice from behind him.

"the votes have been decided"

Alvis watches his father's eyes shift as he eyes the now paralyzed man and the man behind him speaks.

"it was unanimous sire, they all voted no for your father's transport to the plateau medical facility."

"every single one?"

"The Reapers fear the queen and the elders who voted well they cannot go against the queen out of respect for her rule."

the man quiets down and Alvis looks to his weakening father as he places his head to his hands and the man comments.

"The only option Alvis would be to contest her rule before the Reapers, all of them"

"I will not contest my sister's rule."

"My lord."

"I will not!" Alvis yells to the mn and the man eyes him over

The man goes to speak, but the doors open behind him and the queen walks inside the room. She stands at the foot of her father's bed and stares him down sadly as she whispers.

"Father..." She holds the handkerchief up to her forming tear and stares down the now weak king. The Queen sighs to herself and motions out.

"leave me, my brother and father to ourselves." 

The room clears and the queen stands there hearing the door shut. She glances around to make sure the room is silent and sighs speaking to Alvis casually.

"do you think the old devil will ever just die?"

Alvis lets out a small chuckle but silences himself speaking firm.

"he's our father-"

"he is a cruel, inhuman monster, Alvis. killed our mother's with his paranoia and suffocated this monarchy dry."

Alvis remains quiet and the queen moves up to his side as she whispers.

"We need to finish this before the contesting and get to other matters, Alvis dear."

She stares her brother over and runs her hand through his hair.

"I need you to summon the poison maker-"

"There is no need for that sister it will drag this out further. if you want this taken care of I as head of the Reapers will do so but I want a guarantee that you are true by your word and will honor it to me-"

"yes, I will stay true to it Alvis" Alvis sends out a whistle and the door opens and his peasant comes to his side as Alvis motions to a weakening Dorian. 

"suffocate him with a pillow for me-"

The peasant stares down Alvis unsure he heard him and Alvis nods.

"he is weakening, his suffering is torturing the Queen and the Queen has been generous enough to offer you nobility for your service."

the peasant steps forward grabbing the pillow and Alvis sits back watching his peasant and even considering him a close friend slowly suffocate his father. he turns his head watching the man place the pillow over his father's face and press down hard. The Queen looks on eyeing the encounter and swallows hard as Alvis sits back watching his father struggle less then falls motionless. the peasant takes the pillow and places it under Dorian's head and stands there staring. Alvis comes up to his side and places his hand on his peasant's shoulder. The Queen stares down at her dead father and motions to Alvis.

"escort our friend out brother.."