Chapter 4 | Serendipity

The sounds of birds chirping and yells of children having fun in the playground could be heard from where we were currently sitting down.

To spend a cool and quiet Saturday morning, Kina had decided to wake me from my comfortable slumber and literally drag me to the public park opposite our apartment, Sofia joined us a little bit late since she had to take a cab from her home and she for sure didn't come voluntarily.

With some threats and long speech from our so motherly Kina, Sofia had no choice but to come. It was later on she explained that she just wanted the three of us to have a quiet time together, talking about everything going on in our lives as we enjoyed the warmth of the sun.

"So what happened when you arrived home?" The question was directed to Sofia.

Her closed eyes snapped open when she heard Kina's voice. Turning to us she said, "Nothing actually"

"Your mom seriously didn't say anything about you coming home the next day?" I questioned in surprise, "She must trust Kina and I so much"

Sofia immediately shook her head in refusal, "She may love you guys but rules must still be obeyed as so far you live in her house. It's just that the restaurant was so packed up with customers, my family didn't even take notice of my arrival"

"So your mom didn't see you then" Kina stated.

"She saw me, she was just under so much pressure, she ignored my lateness and urged me to give a hand in the kitchen. Even Rafael of all people was helping out" she narrated.

After that, no one spoke and just analyzed the environment around us. But as I watched the kids playing with their friends, my mind slowly drifted to the events of the past two days.

Remembering my first encounter with Alessio, our somewhat intimate dance, his unexpected appearance in my class and the short time I spent with him in the coffee shop, I couldn't help but realize how one particular person could make you go against your natural instincts and force you to accept a stranger's advances.

Maybe it was his friendly personality that made me so comfortable to talk with him or maybe it was his annoying persistent attitude that gave me no choice but to free myself when I was with him. I had no idea which one it was but all I knew was that Alessio Barbieri was definately outstanding.

"Reggie's beginning to creep me out right now" I heard Sofia say, and that was what immediately snapped me out of my Alessio induced thoughts.

Kina turned to my figure, searching for what could be causing Sofia to say that. "What do you mean?"

"She was smiling, Reggie was smiling while in her thoughts" she said in surprise.

Kina was confused and so was I.

Did I really smile?

"I still don't see what's wrong with that" Kina stated.

"She rarely does that, that's what's wrong" she concluded.

And as if realizing what she just said, a familiar teasing glint appeared in her eyes. "Don't tell me"

Oh no.

"Were you thinking about a man?" She asked.

Kina instantly smiled as she once again turned to face me, "No way Reggie"

Seeing the identical smiles on both their expressions, a frown appeared on mine. "You are being delusional Sofia, I wasn't thinking about Alessio"

Her smile became a mischievious smirk, "I never mentioned Alessio's name, Reggie"