Chapter 35

Hi everyone. It's been a weirdly busy week, mostly with work. But sunshine and blue skies ☀️ have definitely helped save me from the end-of-winter blues. I've loved reading all your comments and here's my promise ... I will reply to you all in the next few days, honestly. I've also had a lot of support from one person in particular (you know who you are and I've enjoyed our online chat❤️). Hope you're all OK and enjoy this latest instalment. Again, apologies because my editing failed to bring it under 3,000 words 😱😱 Just make yourself a coffee and sit down!

Shannon lifted his head and smiled at me, loosening his grip on Jared ever so slightly. The pair were bathed in shadow and light as the sun's rays rippled through the magnolia blossoms and danced across the patio.

Slowly but surely I walked up behind them and ran my fingers through their hair, twisting strands around my fingers and giving them a gentle tug. "You two OK then?" I asked, waiting to see who would speak first.

"We're fine Lexy." It was Shannon who opened up first. He shifted over, allowing me to snuggle up between them. "What about you and Jared though?" he asked.

I turned to face his brother. Jared's eyes spoke volumes: sadness, despair, regret. They were all there, his emotions so easy to read. I swallowed hard, feeling my breath hitch as I watched him, watching me. "We're good aren't we J?" I reached out and pulled his hand into mine, rubbing his slender fingers, gradually feeling him relax.

We were interrupted while breakfast was served, Shannon losing himself in his espresso while I tried to force feed Jared a churro.

After a few minutes, conversation returned. "So what were you two talking about while I was inside? I come out and find the pair of you hugging, so what's up?" I leaned over and grabbed my coffee, waiting for one or the other to start talking.

This time it was Jared – and I noted that both of them were watching me intently as he spoke. I'm not saying they'd rehearsed or planned this speech but they damn well wanted to know firsthand my reaction to whatever Jared had to say.

I cradled the mug and listened. Shannon's arm was draped around my shoulders as his brother detailed their earlier conversation. He said it was time for us to move on; be more honest with each other and accept that the three of us were bound together. I felt a shiver run through me as Jared said he and Shannon had discussed ways of making it work, but only if I agreed. Shannon inclined his head and kissed the tip of my ear. I ran my tongue over my bottom lip, as Jared returned my earlier gesture, rubbing his fingers across my palm as he spoke. He talked about trust, respect, understanding and honesty between the three of us.

Then he uncurled himself and leaned over, his face stopping just inches from mine. "This time we have boundaries Lexy. Never again will I hurt you. I promise. We've agreed this is the way forward."

He paused, looking at his brother for reassurance to continue. "Shannon knows I love you ... but I respect your feelings Lexy. I just want another chance, please."

Shannon's arm slipped from my shoulder and I moved closer to Jared. For a moment there was silence between the two of us. I breathed in his fresh soapy smell and relaxed. Everything that had forced us apart was now bringing us back together again and I allowed him to hold me, his hand moving under my shirt to soothe away my worries.

For a moment, I closed my eyes, aware that the burden now rested with me. They were both happy to share and love me equally. Now I had to make a decision.

I hadn't realised how unprepared I'd been for this sort of relationship. It was virgin territory for me and I'd handled it pretty badly up until now. But at this very moment, they both made me feel protected and secure.