Ch. 4 ✿ Car Ride

"After you,"

With a dramatic, gentleman-like bow, Seokjin opened the door to his car for Y/N. She giggled and crawled into the passenger seat, buckling herself in as she waited for him to come sit beside her. A jittery rush filled her entire body. Going out without telling her parents made her feel some kind of rebellious adrenaline. To add to it, she was going out with a man. She kept sucking in her lips, trying to keep her excitement from bursting out and embarrassing her. Her mind spiraled around, what she would now call, the biggest, bravest moment in her entire life.

"Here we go~" Seokjin sang as the car began to rumble beneath them. Y/N was internally screaming in excitement.

As he backed the car from the parking space, he twisted his body around, stretching his arm behind her seat in the process. Y/N whipped her head around to see his fingers barely grazing her shoulder. They moved against her skin ever so slightly, but his fingers tickled against her sleeve just enough to drain all bravery and confidence from her body.

His side-profile carved through the warm afternoon sun. She couldn't pry her eyes away from his focused expression as she realized just how handsome he actually was. She had only seen him once. Given that she was in little space when they met, she didn't take her time to know his face.

Seokjin felt her eyes on him and turned slightly to meet them. Y/N froze on the spot, realizing she had been staring. He raised his eyebrows, wondering if she said something that he didn't hear. Y/N's rebellious spur had quickly turned to vulnerability, leaving her cheeks a bright shade of pink.

It took him a second, but after seeing how suddenly she blushed, Seokjin realized that she was just admiring him. A satisfied smile spread across his lips as he released a small laugh through a single puff of air.

"I'm flattered, but you really don't need to be nervous around me." He smiled at her and released his arm from the back of her chair as he began to drive towards the main road.

"Sorry, I can't help it." Y/N tugged at the hem of her shirt as the first distraction she could find. "I haven't done anything like this before..."

"You mean you've never been on a date before?"

Seokjin saw her shake her head from the corner of his eye. He suddenly felt guilty for taking her out on such short notice. He had asked their boss how old she was before he asked, just to be safe. She was certainly younger than he was, but he assumed she was old enough to have already had her first romance.    An impulse decision probably wasn't ideal for a first date. He turned for a second to see her looking down, still playing with her shirt nervously. He sighed.

"I'm sorry. I can take you home if you want to think about it. I know this is pretty sudde--"

"NO!"

Seokjin jumped at her unexpected volume. Noticing how much she had just shocked him, she tried to collect herself as quickly as possible. She started trying to figure out how she should act in front of him. He looked a little older than her, so she should act like an adult right? Her mind raced to find every possible trait that could be considered "mature" and latching it onto her own personality as naturally as she could. She didn't realize, but her intense thought process was making her appear to be in extreme pain. At the stop sign, Seokjin gave her a worried glance. He was about to ask about it, but she had already cleared her throat to prepare her voice for the mature, ladylike persona she was about to become.

"I mean. No, I would very much like to go with you. Thank you."

The sudden change in tone was undeniably obvious. She was trying so hard to impress him. Seokjin pursed his lips to keep himself from laughing. After barely getting to know her, he could tell she was acting out of character. But at least he knew she wanted to come.

"Okay," Seokjin nodded. "I'll try and make your first date really nice. If you do me one favor."

Y/N turned to him, confused. Is he making a deal with me?

"W-what is it?"

She watched, waiting for an answer, completely unaware of how the next words he would say would wipe away every trace of worry. A pair of sparkles found a home in his eyes as he smiled.

"Today, just be yourself."