Ch. 5 ✿ Unexpected

Once they arrived, the excitement got the best of Y/N as she practically jumped out of the car. She ran up towards the entrance full speed.

"Don't go in without me!" Seokjin called out from the parking lot as he closed the door of the trunk, swinging a backpack over his shoulder.

Y/N stopped in her tracks, only a few steps away from the entrance. The park was huge. A short fence circled around an exciting cluster of colorful sets of slides, endlessly long rows of swing sets and a collection of small wooden castles to hide in. Eyes wide, she stood there in awe. More than anything, she wanted to go spin around on the tire swings, but she was a good girl and did as she was told.

Although she had been quite mature the majority of the ride, there was no doubt that she was deep in little space now. Seokjin hadn't quite noticed yet since she ran off so quickly. Her back faced him as he walked up from behind, gripping the strap of his backpack with one hand and hiding something behind his back with the other. Y/N's mind was completely preoccupied, eyes sparkling as they traced across the playground. She was dying to go in. Completely entranced, she didn't realize Seokjin had snuck up right behind her.

"I have a surprise for you."

He whispered against her hear, making her jump around to see him. She was almost angry at him for scaring her but when she saw his hand behind his back, she was immediately curious. She shot up straight and folded her fingers together. She smiled up at him like the most well-behaved girl on the planet, trying her best to show him how very much she deserved whatever present he was hiding behind his back.

Seokjin swallowed. He definitely wasn't expecting her to act like this so suddenly. She's like a puppy asking for a treat. His ears got red as he watched Y/N bat her eyes up at him. He was going to make getting the present more complex, but figured he'd better hurry and give it to her before he got any more flustered than he already was.

He stretched his arm in front of him, revealing a fuzzy white teddy bear with a big pink bow tied around its neck. Her eyes got wide as she gasped with her entire body. Her shoulders rose and she held her hands out towards it, her excess energy making her jump in place. She opened and closed her fingers, desperately wanting to hold the teddy bear with her entire being.

Seokjin was grinning so wide that his cheeks began to ache. She was so innocent. It was unexplainably satisfying to have made her so excited. Although he still didn't fully understand why she was suddenly acting so young, he certainly knew he loved it. He pursed his lips and gently placed it in her hands.

He watched her as she lovingly looked down at the small toy. Her eyes glimmered as she petted its head to feel its softness. It was smooth against her fingers as she admired her new toy. Seokjin didn't know this, but Y/N didn't have any stuffed animals at home. This gift was incredibly special. After a moment of a small, gentle petting, Y/N hugged it tightly, smooshing her face in its soft fur.

"Do you like it?"

"I love it! I love it!!!"

She squeezed the small teddy bear in her arms and twisted back and forth. Seokjin laughed. He already knew her answer, he just wanted to hear her say it. He walked over a couple of steps to put his backpack down on the park bench beside him as she shuffled her feet over to follow him.

"Good! Now, do you want to..."

Seokjin trailed off as he felt her hand gently tracing around his waist. He lifted an arm to see what she was doing. All the heat in his entire body rose to his face as he watched her wrap herself around him. With her new toy still in one of her hands, Y/N buried her face into his shirt and giggled against the white cloth.

"What are you doing?"

Smiling, she lifted her face from his shirt.

"Thank you Seokjinnie~" It wasn't usually like her to be so clingy with people. But there was something about him that made her feel like this was okay. There was something about the way he looked at her that made her heart both flutter and feel at ease. Something about his voice that was so comforting...  In all honesty, he seemed like he had appeared straight out of a fairytale. She clung onto his shirt, not letting go. The feeling of his chest rising and falling was strangely comfortable. After giggling at the new nickname, Seokjin relaxed his hands onto her body. He gently stroked the top of her head and placed his other hand on her back.

"You're very welcome."

In an innocent way, he felt in control. In an unexpected way, she felt relaxed. Both were feelings that neither of them had fully experienced before- not like this at least.  But it was refreshing. They loved it.

"Hey, Y/N?" Seokjin brushed his hand through her hair as she remained snuggling into his shirt, slightly forgetting what she was actually doing.

"Hmmmmm?" She mumbled against him, making a little warm spot on his chest with her breath.

"Do you want to go play now?  I haven't been here a lot but Ithink there's a giant sandbox somewhere in the back..."

She jumped back and gasped in excitement.

"Can we?!"

Seokjin nodded enthusiastically. With a short, excited squeal, she ran full speed, straight through the arched entrance. As soon as she disappeared past the fence, Seokjin's posture melted. He clutched his heart through his shirt and squeezed his eyes shut, letting out a small 'phew', trying to compose himself.

"What am I getting myself into?"

He shook his head and laughed to himself before following her in.