twenty seven

I eventually always end up
standing at the center of it

“—and what if they don't listen? What if what they really want is her?”

The voice broke off as I walked in, Vernon tailing me like a puppy. Jinyoung closed his mouth slowly, the flash of alarm that had crossed his face at my entry soon smothered itself.

The room was silent for a short, uncomfortable moment, with everyone looking unsure of how they should react to this new development, but a honeyed tone rose from the ashes of the break. Baekhyun gave me a once-over, unfolding his arms and tilting his head just a little, expression giving way to mild interest. “Y/N,” he acknowledged. “We didn't think you'd come.”

Vernon was at my side in a moment, face stony as he surveyed the gathering. “Well, she did.”

Behind us, the door creaked open and shut in a clean, cut-off sound. I didn't need to look behind to know who had just joined us, but by this point I could barely control my own actions. I looked away just as Taeyong brushed past me to join the group. His group.

“All right.” Taehyung's slightly hoarser voice spoke up, the owner eyeing me with a little skepticism. “Might as well let you know what's going on.”

He threw Jennie a look, which made one corner of her lips turn down in distaste. “I guess you do deserve some answers,” she said reluctantly, turning to me. “And you've got a central role in this, after all.”

Minhyuk's eyes flashed her a silent warning, but instead of offering me one of his reassuring smiles, he avoided my eyes. Well, it was understandable, considering the shit I'd pulled with him within a few feet of my own drugged self.

“That's what you've been saying for quite some time now.” I rolled my eyes. “This better be good.”

Taehyung's lips quirked into a little smirk. Seulgi laughed aloud, shaking her head and walking closer to the pool table, into the light.

“I'm sure you're aware that usually, street racers are under a designated manager.” Her tone was conversational, almost bored, as she ran a finger over her knuckles. “And it might be a little obvious that none of us hold the said position.”

I blinked. The thought had surprisingly evaded me, but now that she said it, it seemed to be the obvious root of my growing distrust. No manager. Of course. That's why the group had seemed so incomplete.

Seulgi watched me carefully, her eyes following every emotion flitting across my face. “Seven months before you came here,” she said, slowly, as if she was choosing every one of her words, “he disappeared.”

Seven months?

That seemed too long a period for the racers to have run themselves without a sort-of leader, even if they were the most capable of criminal minds. But that wasn't what had caught my attention.