thirty

take a fist or stone or a gunshot
we’ve gotten stronger

take a fist or stone or a gunshotwe’ve gotten stronger

Four days.

It had been four days since I'd been completely pulled into this mess, but it felt like forever had passed in those four days.

One, with the so-called initiation that had been nothing more than a plot devised by the racers to lure my past in, using me as bait. Two, with the club and the kiss and a prospect I was either too scared to think of or too weighed down to dissect. Three, walking into a meeting and finally being told a tiny part of the complicated plan they had hatched, and the information that I was to be monitored at all times.

Four, I'd been handed a gun and told to use it without hesitation.

As the last lecture of the day dragged on and on, my hand drifted to my side, where the fully loaded weapon had been strapped. In a way, it was a small freedom that I had been granted—there was nothing stopping me from drawing it and blowing my captor's brains out but my conscience.

It was my fault, in a way. I had grown too attached to them, in a sick, twisted way, and I was too afraid to deal with the consequences. I had enough blood on my hands.

And of course, there was my father.

The professor droned on at the head of the room, providing me with a weak distraction that could be used to get rid of the dark thoughts that were clouding my head. I couldn't run away a second time, I knew better now that it had backfired, and anyway, I had a feeling that it would be better to stay with the racers. At least they could physically protect me from the bikers, but emotionally, they were the ones slicing my sanity into bits.

Being too drained to even show my impatience in the form of tapping fingers, I switched open my phone again, checking the time. Ten more minutes.

The reason I was so impatient was that the few minutes spent in the walk from college to the bar were the only ones I had to myself in the entire day.

The sky outside had darkened to a light violet and blue, indicating that the sun had almost set. By the time I was out, it was going to be dark already, which was a little frightening since there was a chance I could be attacked, but my eagerness was at an all-time high.

It felt like hours before the class was dismissed, and I shot out of my seat. Baekhyun hadn't shown up to college today, and no one else shared this class with me, so there was no chance I'd have someone else to look over me since it was the last class of the day.

I shouldered my bag and let my hand ghost over the gun at my side as I walked down the street. Since Baekhyun was busy somewhere else, executing some duties I had no idea about, who was next in line to watch over me? Was there even another person assigned the job, or had they forgotten? No, they wouldn't forget their most important bait.