thirty four

it’s just a cycle of being
perpetrators and victims

“What was so important that it couldn't wait until dawn?”

Baekhyun ignored my question, instead setting down his flashlight and walking to the other side of the room. He flipped a switch, and we were suddenly bathed in light.

I had received his text less than twenty minutes ago, and he had shown up about five minutes later, without any warnings. If he had been anyone except the person he was, I would have been tempted to ignore him, but he was now one of the two people who knew the truth about what had gone down in my past.

And still I wasn't sure if I trusted him less or more because of it.

I squinted against the unwanted glare, turning my face half-away from the tubelight so that I was facing Taeyong. “What is this?”

“Something absolutely necessary,” Baekhyun said, jerking his chin towards the lone table in the centre of the rusty old room. “Sit,” he commanded.

“Well, good day to you too,” I muttered, taking a seat. The blond and redhead stood in front of me on either side of the other chair, mirroring each other's grim expression with their arms folded over their chests. “Or maybe I should say morning, since it isn't even dawn yet—”

“It couldn't wait.” Baekhyun set down a folder on the table in front of me, impatience mixed into his voice as he interrupted me. Which was probably when I realized it must have been very serious, because I had never seen him without his emotions in complete control. “Open it.”

I did as he said, but with a slight frown on my face. The file fell open on a black-and-white picture of a blonde man exiting a car, sunglasses hiding his eyes. His face was gaunt, a little sick-looking, the kind of face you could see and tell that the person was a drug addict.

But that wasn't what had piqued my interest.

“That's him,” I said, brow furrowed even more, as I traced the picture with my fingers. “The leader. How did you find this?”

“I have my ways—which, I might add, are not relevant enough to reveal at the moment,” Baekhyun said, adding the second statement as he saw me open my mouth. “The point is, this was taken in Suwon a few days ago, around the time you were shot.”

I stared at him, uncomprehending. “So?”

So, even if Lay was here, it's a safe bet that he isn't,” he said, tapping the picture of the man in front of me. “Which means he's waiting it out. Most probably, he's not in Seoul himself and has sent over some of the bikers to kill you instead.”