Chapter 5

[🔗] < Outfit

The One Place We Just Can't Go

Jim lies in bed holding a sleeping Eleanor in his arms, she had cried herself to sleep last night. Jim found himself awake all night. Too many emotions flowing through him to sleep.

Jim's communicator goes off interrupting his thoughts, shifting so that he can sit up right, he lays Eleanor down on the bed gently as not to wake her, answering it he says "Yeah?".

"Commander, Mister Scott has found something in the wreckage of Harrison's ship. He has asked to see us right away." he hears Spock's voice from the other end.

"Alright, I'm on my way." Jim says, then hangs up.

"I'm coming too." He hears from his left, looking over he sees Eleanor sitting up, now wide awake.

"Ellie-" Jim starts but is cut off quickly by Eleanor.

"Jim, I'm coming." voice filled with determination.

Jim, Eleanor and Spock are running over towards Scotty.

"Captain! I found this in the crashed jumpship, sir. This is how the bastard got away." Scotty tells them once they are in front of him.

"What do you mean?" Jim asks.

"It's a portable transwarp beaming device." Scotty explains.

"Well, can you figure out where he went?" Jim asks

"I already did, sir, and you're no gonna like it." Scotty says, shifting on his feet.

"Where is he." Eleanor says, though it came out more like a demand.

Scotty sighs, pressing a few buttons on the device, "He's gone to the one place we, we just can't go.".

The three of them look down at the device, reading "Coordinates 43 89 26 05".

'You have got to be kidding me.' Eleanor thought.

The three practically burst into Admiral Marcus' office, where he was holding a meeting, though it didn't seem to matter to Jim.

"Admiral, sir, he's not on Earth. He's on Q'onoS, sir. I request my command be reinstated and your permission to go after him." Jim says in a hurry.

Marcus looks over at the others in the room, "Give us a minute.", with that they leave the room.

"Q'onoS?" Marcus repeats.

"Yes, sir." Jim answers.

"So Harrison's gone to the Klingon homeworld. ls he defecting?" Marcus asks, walking over to his desk, the other three following right behind him.

"Er, we're not sure, sir." Jim says.

"He has taken refuge in the Ketha Province, a region uninhabited for decades-" Spock starts to explain, but Jim cuts him off.

"He's got to be hiding there, sir! He knows if we even go near Klingon space, it'd be all-out war. Starfleet can't go after him, but I can." Jim says in a rush, "Please, sir.".

"All-out war with the Klingons is inevitable, Mister Kirk. If you ask me, it's already begun. Since we first learned of their existence, the Klingon Empire has conquered and occupied two planets that we know of and fired on our ships half a dozen times. They are coming our way." Marcus explains, walking behind his desk looking at models of starships.

Turning to look at the three, Marcus starts to talk "London was not an archive. it was a top-secret branch of Starfleet designated Section 31. They were developing defense technology and training our officers to gather intelligence on the Klingons and any other potential enemy who means to do us harm. Harrison was one of our top agents."

Hearing this unnerved Eleanor, she had never truly liked Marcus. He was the one who talked her father into joining Starfleet so the two where rather close, meaning she grew up around him. Something about the man always put Eleanor off, now it sounds like he's trying to militarizes Starfleet, and that is not something she or her parents signed up for.

"Well, now he's a fugitive and I want to take him out.", she's also not liking the way Jim is starting to sound either. She understands better then anyone else how he feels, but she is not willing to give up her beliefs or morals for revenge, neither of her parents would have liked that, so she won't.

"Pike always said you were one of our best and brightest. You should have heard him defend you." Marcus says, making Eleanor look at her shoes.

"He's the one who talked you into joining Starfleet, wasn't he?" he continues, this gets to both Jim and Eleanor, they remember it like it was yesterday.

"Yes, sir." Jim replies, glancing at Eleanor, who's still looking at the floor.

"Did he ever tell you who talked him into joining?" Marcus takes a deep breath and continues, "His death is on me. And yours can't be." Eleanor closes her eyes and gives a small sigh.

"Sir, please. All I-" Jim is cut off by the Admiral.

"Mister Spock, you said the province where Harrison is hiding is uninhabited?" Marcus asks.

"Affirmative, sir."

During the short silence Eleanor's stomach drops, 'I don't like where this is going.' she thinks to herself.

"As part of our defensive strategy, 31 developed a new photon torpedo." Marcus then taps on his desk, calling up a hologram of a torpedo unlike anything Eleanor had yet to see. "Long range and untraceable, it would be invisible to Klingon sensors. I don't want you hurt, but I want to take him out. You park on the edge of the Neutral Zone, you lock onto Harrison's position, you fire, you kill him and you haul ass." Marcus finishes.

'I really don't like this.' Eleanor thinks.

"Permission to reinstate Mister Spock as my First Officer." Jim asks, this causes Spock to look over at him, a look of slight confusion.

Marcus takes only a second to think before giving his answer, "Granted.".

The three make their way to leave, Eleanor is stopped by Marcus, "Eleanor.".

"Yes, sir?" Eleanor says, looking at him over her shoulder.

"I'm sorry for your loss.", for some reason she doesn't get the feeling he is.

"Thank you, sir." and with that she leaves.