Chapter 16

Why Not The Enterprise

Jim stood at a podium on the stage before everyone.

"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves. Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. But that's not who we are. We are here today to rechristen the USS Enterprise, and to honor those who lost their lives nearly one year ago." Jim takes a breath and finds Eleanor in the front row, sitting next to Uhura.

"When Christopher Pike first gave me his ship he had me recite the Captain's Oath, words I didn't appreciate at the time. Now I see them as a call for us to remember who we once were, and who we must be again." Jim finishes sincerely, sharing a small smile with Eleanor.

After the ceremony everyone began to disperse, Eleanor weaved her way through the crowd to find Carol.   

"Carol." she says, tapping the other girls shoulder, making the girl turn around.

"Eleanor." Carol says softly, with her head down slightly.

"It's been a while since we talked."

"It has." Carol replies simply.

There's a moment of silence, before Eleanor speaks up. 

"I know you feel guilty for what happened, but you really shouldn't." Eleanor tells her with a small smile, making Carol look up at her, Eleanor pulls the girl in for a hug, "It's not your fault, I don't blame you.".

"Oh, I've been talking to Jim." Eleanor says pulling away.

"About?" Carol asks, slightly confused.

"Well, your going to need somewhere to go, so I thought, why not the Enterprise." Eleanor says smiling.

"Are you serious?" Carol asks in slight shock.

"Only if you want." Eleanor adds.

Carol gives Eleanor a genuine smile, "I'd love to.".

"You got to tell me how you came to be with Jim Kirk."   

"It's kind of a long story."