Chapter 13

She Has A Job To Do

Some time has past, everyone is waiting anxiously for something to happen.

Spock walks over to Sulu, "Where is the Captain, Mister Sulu?" he asks.

"Our sensor array's down, sir. I can't find him" Sulu answers.

Then, the're hailed, and Khan shows up on the screen, holding a beaten up Jim and a phaser to hes back, "I'm going to make this very simple for you..' Khan starts.

"Jim." Eleanor says, a hand flying up to cover her mouth.

"Captain." Spock says.

"Your crew for my crew." Khan continued his sentence.

"You betrayed us.".

"Oh, you are smart, Mister Spock.".

"Spock don't-" Jim tries to speak up, only for Khan to knock him out by hitting him with his phaser. Spock taking a step forward at seeing this, Eleanor's other hand also goes to cover her mouth.

"Mister Spock, give me my crew." Khan says.

"And what will you do when you get them?" Spock asks.

"Continue the work we were doing before we were banished.".

"Which, as I understand it, involves the mass genocide of any being you find to be less than superior.".

"Shall I destroy you, Mister Spock? Or will you give me what I want?" Khan asks sinisterly.

"We have no transporter capabilities."

"Fortunately mine are perfectly functional. Drop your shields.".

"If I do so, I have no guarantee that you will not destroy the Enterprise.".

"Well, let's play this out logically then, Mister Spock. Firstly, I will kill your Captain to demonstrate my resolve. Then if yours holds, I will have no choice but to kill you and your entire crew." Khan says with a sick smile.

"If you destroy our ship, you will also destroy your own people." Spock refutes. 

"Your crew requires oxygen to survive, mine does not. I will target your life support systems located behind the aft nacelle. And after every single person aboard your ship suffocates, I will walk over your cold corpses to recover my people.", his words make Eleanor's stomach churn, "Now, shall we begin?".

Spock is silent for a moment, "Lower shields." Spock says, with a tone of defeat.

"A wise choice, Mister Spock." Khan says, before harshly kicking Jim, then walks over to a panel, making Eleanor flinch. "I see your seventy two torpedoes are still in their tubes. If they are not mine, Commander, I will know it.".

"Vulcans do not lie. The torpedoes are yours." Spock states.

Eleanor keeps herself from letting a smirk form on her face.

"Thank you, Mister Spock." Khan says, sounding very pleased.

"I have fulfilled your terms. Now fulfil mine." Spock demands.

"Well, Kirk, it seems apt to return you to your crew. After all, no ship should go down without her captain." Khan clinically says, beaming Jim, Scotty and Carol back to the Enterprise.

"He's locking phasers on us, sir!" Sulu yells over the alarms.

Then the ship jerks from the blast, almost knocking Eleanor over.

"Shields at six percent!" Sulu yells out.

"The torpedoes. How much time, Lieutenant?" Spock asks Eleanor.

"Twelve seconds, sir!" she replies.

"Crew of the Enterprise, prepare for imminent proximity detonation." Spock says over the comm.

They all watch as the ship before them explodes from within.

"Sir, their weapons have been knocked out. Not bad, Commander." Sulu says, turning to face Spock.

"Thank you, Lieutenant."

Suddenly the lights went out.

"Sir, the central power grid is failing." Sulu says.

"Switch to auxiliary power." Spock tells another officer.

"Auxiliary power failing, sir." she replies.

"Commander, our ship's caught in Earth's gravity." Sulu informs Spock.

"Can we stop?".

"l can't do anything." Sulu says in defeat.

"Lieutenant, sound evacuation, all decks." Spock tells the person to his right. "Aye, sir." the android replies.

"As acting Captain, I order you to abandon this ship." Spock orders, pressing a button on the captains chair causing his seatbelt to come out, "I will remain behind and divert all power to life support and evacuation shuttle bays.". Spock seeing no one moves an inch, "I order you to abandon the ship!" he demands.

"All due respect, Commander, but we're not going anywhere." Sulu says, turning to face his station and activating his out belts.

As much as Eleanor is worried about Jim and wants to run to find him, she has a job to do, 'Please don't do anything stupid.' she thinks. 

Spock looks over at her for her answer, Eleanor nods her head and stands her ground. Just then the ship starts to turn, everyone loosing their balance, "Gravity systems are failing. Hold on! Hold on!" Spock says, "Mister Sulu, divert any remaining power to stabilisers.".

"Doing what I can, sir. Doing what I can.".

"If we don't get power or shields back online, we're gonna be incinerated on re-entry!" Sulu say trying his best to do something, anything.

Just as they've entered the atmosphere, "Warp core is back online!" Sulu yells.

"Maximum thrusters, Mister Sulu!" Spock commands.

"Thrusters at maximum! Stand by! Stand by!" Sulu responds, as they continue to fall. Then the ship lurches up as they start to rise.

"Shields restored!".

"Commander, power online.".

"Mister Spock, altitude stabilizing." Sulu informs.

"It's a miracle." says one of the officers.

Spock undoes his belt, "There are no such things." he grimly states.

Eleanor can't help the sinking feeling in her stomach, and is justified by Scotty only a moment later.

"Engineering to bridge. Mister Spock!" Scotty speaks trough the comm.

"Mister Scott." Spock addresses.

"Sir, you and Eleanor better get down here. Better hurry.", this makes Eleanor's blood run cold, she and Spock share a worried look, then bolt out the door, running past Uhura and down to engineering.