42

the dates and everything are not adding up but whatevs bare with me

42.

Over the course of the next three days, the weekend and Monday, Colton was trying his best to cheer me up. I honestly appreciated it so much but I didn't feel much better. My heart was still broken and my eyes were burning from the tears. Of course, Zayn tried to call and come to my house but Colton insisted he'd take care of him. Monday was especially terrible.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Colton asked me when I walked into school on Tuesday.

I shook my head no. I hadn't spoke to anyone in the past ten or eleven hours probably. After last night, that was just enough. I couldn't take it anymore.

On Monday, Colton was in my house again and we sat outside on the patio. I didn't go outside much besides summer when I wanted to go swimming with Liam. We sat in the chairs on the deck and I was on my phone. He sat next to me with a book. The silence was great and he understood that he wasn't going to get me to talk anymore without me crying. I had my phone on Do Not Disturb Mode as I scrolled on Tumblr.

I heard a car coming in my driveway and sighed. I hadn't seen then in a couple of days and I didn't want them to make me feel worse. They have a tendency to bring my mood down without even trying, plus they'll flip when they find out that I have a boy here that they don't know. Especially when they think I'm still dating Zayn.

"Nikki?" I heard my dad call from inside. It was around nine o'clock at night and they haven't been home since that night where I cut up Zayn's flowers that he left me. I had absolutely no idea where they've been going. "You home?"

"Outside!" I shouted.

My dad popped his head out the back door and his eyes fell on Colton. He looked up from his book that he was reading and gave my dad a light smile. "Oh, hello." he told him. "Who's this?" he glanced at me.

"Hi, Mr. Smalls, I'm Colton. Great to meet you." he stood up, shaking his hand. Dad shook his hand and gave him a smile.

"Where did you two meet?"

I almost answered but I hesitated, nearly telling him that we met in detention, but he'd flip at that. Instead, Colton replied, "School. We have mutual friends." More like mutual enemies, such as Harry and Eleanor and the rest of them. The two of them had a small conversation before he went back inside. "He seems alright." he looked at me.

"Yeah, alright." I agreed. It's mostly my mom that I have a problem with but my dad isn't such a great parent either. Through the window, I spotted my mother, who was drinking from the bottle, laughing hysterically. Dad was trying to control her but she swatted him away. "I'm sorry." I sighed, closing my eyes. I don't understand why she's been getting drunk so much so frequently. Her first impressions lately have been poor.

"It's fine." Colton pretended like he wasn't watching and that he was still reading the book in his hands, but she was making quite a ruckus, banging pots and pans together.

I stood up and placed my phone down. "I'll be back in a minute." I told him, beginning to walk inside. I opened the door and closed it so that Colton wouldn't be able to hear us. I looked at dad first and then raised my eyebrows at mom. "Dad, what is going on?" I questioned, angrily. "She's making a fool of herself!" I whisper-shouted at him.

"What do you want me to do?"

"Oh, I don't know, take her outside? My friend is outside and he can see-slash-hear everything!" I said.

"Listen," mom threw an arm over my shoulder and leaned down into my ear, "you can't just tell us what to do." she slurred. "It is my duty to tell you what to do, because I am your mother. You are not my mother." Mom giggled.