45

45.

{ZAYN'S POV}

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I wiped my sweaty palms on my sweatpants and rested my elbows on my thighs. I tensed during each silence, scared that the noise would echo throughout the room in one long beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

I glanced at the heart monitor and then at her beautiful face. I ran a shaky hand through my hair and rubbed my red, tired eyes.

"Hey," Liam said, "I'm gonna go take a walk. You want anything from the vending machine?" His voice was scratchy and a little raspy. I shook my head and waved my hand before muttering a thank you anyways.

I stared at her some more until I heard Nikki's mom talking to me. "Zayn, hon?" Lori asked from behind me. She and William were standing by the window, holding each other sadly and tightly. I remembered how Nikki wasn't a huge fan of her parents and that she thought they disliked her. After seeing them, I could evidently see how much she meant to them but they didn't show it like they wanted to. I heard them out in the hallway earlier; they were telling each other that they wished that they could reverse time to treat her so much better than they did. "Can we talk, please?"

I was scared that Nikki told them about the break up and she just assumed that I was the cause of all this. I partially was. I nodded and we stood in the hallway, talking quietly. "Did you and Nikki break up?" she asked.

I cleared my throat, "Uh, yes, she did break up with me." She didn't really say anything to me afterwards. "I'm really sorry, Lori. I feel like this is my fault."

"No, no, it wasn't you. We all never appreciated Nikki as much as we should have. She deserves nothing less than honesty, kindness, and love. She's such a good person who has been so sweet and amazing throughout her life. I remember when she told me about Liam when they first met but I was working, not listening." She said. "I don't know much about her at all."

"I know. Everyone needs a little Nikki in their life but no everyone really gets a chance to see how great of a person she is. I wish I could've stopped her before this happened but I screwed up. I really like your daughter. I really do." I stated. "I need her. She needs to stay with us."

Suddenly, Lori burst into tears. William was over to comfort her within a few seconds and she looked up at me. "I've already been through this whole process with one of my kids. The accident, the scare, the coma, the wait, and then the bad part. This does not need to happen a second time." Lori shook her head. "She can't leave like this." she looked up at William.

Visiting hours were nearly over and Nikki's parents, Liam, and I were saying our goodbye's to Nikki. Lori and William whispered something to her before kissing her forehead, Liam held her hand as he promised he'd visit the next day and that he loved her very much, and I took her right hand in my own. I stared into her closed eyes before saying, "I miss you. I know you've only been unconscious for two days now, but I want to be yours again. You're amazing, stunning, incredible, and the sweetest in the world. Thank you for being you." I brought my lips to her hand. "Please, please be okay, babe. Please. Stay with me." I sighed, feeling tears brimming my eyes. "I'll be back to visit tomorrow, Nikki. Promise. Goodbye love." I leaned over and kissed her cheek, lingering for a few seconds extra.

Liam and I walked out together towards my car. I sat down in the drivers seat and leaned my head against the wheel, crying silently. Liam pat my back gently. "I love her." I whispered.