xv

miles had spent days in the hospital, as the doctors had said. in fact, they predicted that he would be there for weeks.

it was now new year's eve and the herron family was at the hospital, visiting their beloved miles. reese was coloring one of the books the hospital provided while ryan played video games against daniel on the wii that was in the room, miles watching them.

"it's good to see he's not as bad as before," said zach's dad.

"i know. it was awful having to see him in so much pain," the nineteen year old replied with a nod.

"well, that'll all be over soon, hopefully."

"mhm. hey, at least we're all together for the new year," zach's mom spoke, walking up, next to her husband. "and miles is better than he used to be. what more can you ask for?"

"you know what, mom? you're right." he hugged his parents. "i'm so glad they let you all in. it would've been a crappy new year if they didn't."

"hello, we're back." they all looked towards the door, where the group of friends were.

"and we snuck in cake," corbyn whispered.

"not a lot, though. we tried," said jonah. "hi, zach," he greeted, going in for a hug. he looked at his parents. "mr and mrs herron, good to see you again." he hugged them, too.

"you too, jonah." they smiled.

they rarely saw jonah at the hospital, most likely because they were never there when he was. it was nice seeing another familiar face visit their grandson.

"two more hours 'til the new year, yay," jack said, making jazz hands. he had been trying to lighten up the mood for everyone because they all seemed down. "i'm hoping to get a six pack this year, i think i can."

zach scoffed. "that's your resolution for every year and you never keep up with it." he crossed his arms over his chest.

"okay, but i'm feeling confident this year."

"see? that's exactly what you said three years ago. and the years before that," he replied, exposing the curly haired male.

"and the years after that," jonah added.

"whatever." he rolled his eyes playfully. "miles believes in me, right, miles?" he looked at the little boy. "just say yes," he whispered.

"yes," he responded, smiling.

"see? if miles believes in me then i believe in me," he replied proudly.

zach smiled on the outside but was frowning on the inside. he was starting to regret not telling jack the truth about his relationship with miles. he could tell that he truly cared about his son, and zach was only stopping him from getting closer to him.

what was holding him back? fear.

fear of getting left behind again. not only him but miles, too. the little boy had a lot of love to give, and it seemed like he was giving most of it to jack. which was great, but at the same time terrifying.

nevertheless, he tried to relax. the thought of telling jack was constantly on his mind after they kissed, but he tried to push it away. today wasn't any different, it was new year's eve, he didn't want to think about anything else other than being grateful that miles made it to the new year.

---

it was so close to being new year's day, and the herron family had gone down to get pastries to at least celebrate. the only people with miles were the five friends, who were taking turns in playing the wii. they were at the point where it gets really competitive. it was funny seeing how they all insulted each other in a nice way - due to miles' presence.