Pehli Mulaqat

Part One

It was one of his earlier missions for his new position. Covert operations were planned sometimes on a whim. Over the past few weeks he was tasked in leading rescue operations on the border postings.

A medical team and two injured soldiers had gotten stranded when the original helicopter intended to fetch them had mechanical issues. There was a storm after which Neil and his team were cleared to start their rescue operation.

They found their camp when someone radioed in their location. They emerged down on safe location and went ahead to escort along with accessing the injuries of the soldiers.

A nurse and doctor emerged first with the injured men. Behind them emerged a mysterious figure in a red trench coat.

Neil's gaze locked with hers as she was the last one to be helped into the helicopter. Her grip was firm in his gloved hand as he pulled her inside the helicopter.

" Thank-you officer," she stated firmly.

" Aap ki tareef?"

" Ananya Verma. I am part of the team that initiated this rescue operation," she declared before turning silent.

She glanced at his name plate which was now visible after he removed his outer coat. It appeared to be his real name.

Neil Khanna.

Once they landed at the base three medical personnel with the help of one of the other commandos rushed the soldiers in for further evaluation.

Neil held back and watched Ananya disappear up the corridor. She did not look back in his direction. He was surprised at how little she paid attention to him. However there was something about her that told him there was more to her story.

Ananya could feel the officer's gaze on her as she left with the others. She shrugged off any distractions. She had a dual mission this time around.

That night the soldiers were stabilized and everyone took a sigh of relief. However there was never any true peaceful rest when stationed at the border.

Ananya quickly informed her superiors she was back at the base before freshening up. She would try to get some sleep. Others had taken over for the rest of the night. She thought back to those fateful, horrifying days in November 2008. At first her fears were that she would not live to finish medical school. Unfortunately something worse happened. Her father was still missing to this day. Her mother had died in those attacks. Ayesha Mehta had worked in the Taj hotel in Mumbai. She gave her life to help the guests in the hotel.

Her father had been an government officer of some sort. The files were classified. He was supposed to return around the time the attacks happened. Had he been killed at the train station or in the commotion that occurred those awful days? She herself had been able to make it home. She had been shaken and held her younger brother close most of the next few days. Since they were still young they ended up staying with their Dadi. Dayavanti never liked their mother but she agreed to provide for them until Ananya got a job. Aman currently stayed with their mother's good friend Neela Parikh while he attended college. She had taken their responsibility indirectly at first. Over time Neela guided Ananya to her current line of work. Perhaps Neela had the answers to what may of happened to her father but she knew Neela Ma as they referred her as, was also tied by the restrictions of the laws.

She often wondered if she could have saved her mother or father had she made a different choice that first night. Alas Neela ma assured her there wasn't anything she could have done. It was chaotic. It was a miracle she was alive and that Aman at least had her in this cruel, dark world.

Ananya sighed as she sat down after her shower. She haphazardly dried her long hair. She regretted not cutting it last time she was home with Aman and Neela Ma. However she had reasoned she may need to cut it if she had to go on a new mission.

The delay in transport was not expected. On the bright side her new orders had not arrived yet.

Meanwhile..

Neil was trying to stop his mind from wandering to Ananya. He had just met her. Why was his thoughts constantly drawn to her.

He was just about to doze off when a knock came outside his assigned room. He walked quickly to answer it.