Past connection

Part Two

Neil opened the door to see DD his right hand man.

" DD kya hua?"

"Sirji yeh information hai jo aap ne mangi thi."

" Kis bare mein?"

"Wahi jisse aap kuch ghente pelhi par mil chuke hain," DD declared.

Neil cleared his throat.

" Sorry I thought it was for our next mission," he tried to cover.

"Koi baat nahin sir. Aap ko kahan need ayi gi ab," DD mumbled the second part.

Neil eyed him sternly.

"Kuch nahin sir, Maa ki kasam. Go ahead read this, I am nearby if you need me," DD assured him.

Closing the door behind DD, Neil sat the file down and looked through it.

Name: Ananya Verma cover name

Name at Birth: Classified

Parents: Deceased November 26, 2008?

One sibling- younger brother, name classified

Age: Classified

Gender: Female

Nationality : Indian

City/ Main Base: Mumbai

College: Medical College of Professions , Andheri Mumbai, India

Profession: Medical Doctor Resident

Currently stationed in Mussorie, India

Neil began to think about the late part of 2008. He had been planning to prepare for the TOEFL and go abroad for his MBA. Then those terrorist attacks had changed everything for him.

Had those events changed her life so drastically that she joined the army or some other agency to handle these rescue cases for soldiers. He now was starting to understand why he felt that way about Ananya Verma or whoever she really was. This report didn't have much. But if it was accurate, she too had lost her parents like he had lost some of his loved ones.

His mood became glum as he recalled those horrible nights and the third night when his father returned home bearing the worst news. His bua and uncle had died in the attacks. Once it was safe they would go collect their bodies for the final rites.

His cousin Kareena held onto him for what seemed like hours.

Neil recalled her screams and cries.

" Woh mujhe chor ke chal gaye Bhayia! Main akeli par gi!"

A few tears escaped his eyes.

That date would always be etched in his in mind.

But in the days that followed he changed the course of his chosen future. He ended up where God wanted him to go. He had cleared the exams and training.

His mother Shweta stepped into the doorway of his room before he went on for his first few months away from home.

" Neil beta are you sure about your decision?"

Neil looked into his mother's teary eyes and said, " This uniform chose me. If destiny wanted me to just finish my MBA and join dad in his company then that would be happening instead."

She came rushing over to him and caressed his hair and cheeks.

" Ek promise karo ge?"

" Kya mom?"

" Kabhie himmat mat harna. Mother India needs you more than I do," Shweta said emotionally.

Neil embraced his mother and promised her , he would die fighting for his country but he would never back down from any challenge.

Some missions later and he grew confident. He would be able to go home for a few days here and there. He couldn't tell his old friends or his family anything. His family told others he was in the IT sector for an international firm so he had to travel a lot.

Bebe his grandmother once asked him why he didn't just join his father.

" Bebe I am gaining good experience in this line of work. Plus when dad decides to retire I can help take the company to other heights."

He felt bad lying to her. But then again if she knew the truth she would not be able to bear it after losing her daughter and son in law.

Two days later both Ananya and Neil would receive their new orders. Where and when would destiny bring them together again?

Ananya sighed as she read her orders. She was getting restless remaining here at the base. Her face brightened realizing she would get to have a change in environment for next mission. Someone else would arrived here to replace her.

Neil did not see Ananya properly for the next few days. The time came for him and DD to move on with some other colleagues elsewhere.

He decided to approach the infirmary one last time before joining everyone at the jeep.

Neil was about to say something when the woman turned and it was someone else in her place.

" Sorry I was looking for Ananya."

The nurse from the other day approached him.

" Sir woh toh do ghente pehle chale gi."

"Kahan?"

" Pata nahin sir. She got her orders and informed me she was leaving," she answered.

Neil mumbled a thanks. As he approached the corridor he shrugged off his few memories of her and then a sudden recall happened. He had seen her before this mission.

November 26,2008

A young girl was stuck in a bus. He didn't know why he noticed her frozen to the spot. The others may have died or run off sometime ago. He didn't realize when his feet carried him towards the bus.

He grabbed her by the wrist and they both ran for sometime.

It was maybe some kilometers down the road when he realized she was missing.

In the panic he never realized when she disappeared.

He turned around and realized she was running towards the Taj hotel.

A barricade was there. He found her weeping on the ground. He knew it was crazy but he took one more chance on attempting to save her life.

God was merciful as someone she knew approached her and took her away.

Neil sighed with relief and decided he must now save himself at least. It was later he learned his bua and uncle had too died in the Taj.

The girl turned strong woman now amazed him. That night he had tried to lead her to safety. During this mission she led the team to save those soldiers and later handled the infirmary immediately on her return.

So he had in fact met this girl twice now. There had to be some reason why he met her again.

Neil nodded to DD that they could leave. For some reason he didn't want to sleep tonight. He feared the nightmares would return.