Chapter 22: Dawn's heartbeat

~Your Pov~

After you went back to your spot, and changed out of your work clothes, you pulled your hood down, and walked through Inkwell Isle two. You decided to visit an old friend of yours on Inkwell Isle one, so you walked over the bridge, through the island, until you came upon a little cottage in a brush of trees. You took a deep breath, walked up to the cottage and gently knocked on the door. You heard shuffling inside, and then the door opened before you, and you were face to face with the wise Elder Kettle. 
"Oh, (y/n)."  The Elder Kettle said in a cheery voice. "It's a wonder to see you again." A sweet, caring smile crossed his face, causing you to form your own. "It's good to see you too, old friend." you said, reaching out to shake his hand. "Cuphead and Mugman are tending to the garden, out back." the kettle said. "I'll let them know you're here." Before he could head back inside, you placed a hand on his shoulder. "Actually, I came here to see you." you said, causing him to slowly raise his brows. "Whatever for, my dear?" He asked, guiding you into the cottage. "I was wondering if you could..." you said, faltering with your words. "Take your time, (y/n)." the old kettle said, carefully sitting in his chair. "I'm in no hurry." You gulped the words down, and took a deep breath before saying, "I want you to teach me magic." 

The Elder Kettle looked at you in gracious surprise. "I know it's a lot to ask, but I've made a huge mistake, and I didn't know who else to turn to for help." you said, folding your hands together and squishing them between your thighs. "I understand." the kettle said. "You want to rekindle the light between you and your loved one." Your brows flew up in surprise. "How did you know?" You asked in awe. "I'm a wise man, I know a lot of things." he said. "Wow." you breathed. He then chuckled and said, "I'm just pulling your leg, my dear." he said. "Cuphead told me what had happened, and what you were planning to do."
You slightly chuckled, but then your laughter turned to soft sobs. You buried your face in your hands as the tears began to escape your lids. The Elder Kettle seemed to notice, as he spoke up and said, "Come here, dear. Let me know what you did." You walked over to him, and folded your arms on his lap as you began to sob harder. "I've done a terrible thing!" You cried out between sobs and hiccups. The Elder Kettle gently rubbed your back, shushing you softly and saying things were going to be okay. "I hurt him so badly." you choked out. "I didn't know what else to do, so I hurt him. And now he hates me for it." "I'm sure you didn't mean what you did." the old man said. "You were lost and confused, so you did what you thought would be the right thing. There's nothing wrong or bad about that, my dear." You looked up at him, causing him to gently brush the tears out of your eyes and dry your cheeks. 

You heard the back door open, and hear the voices of Cuphead and Mugman. You looked back to see them coming into the main room, their eyes going wide at the sight of you. "(Y/n)?" Mugman said. You sniffled, and rubbed your eyes before standing up. "Elder Kettle, is something going on?" Cuphead. "Oh no, we're fine, Cuphead." the wise man said. "(Y/n) just came by to see me for her magic lesson." Your eyes widened and you looked down at the old kettle. He nodded, and you smiled and mouthed a "thank you." to him. "Wow, (y/n)!" Mugman said. "I didn't know you were learning magic." You smiled sweetly and shrugged. "Then why were you crying?" Cuphead asked, raising a brow. "I-I was frustrated with myself because this spell I was trying to cast wasn't working." you lied, looking at the Elder Kettle. He just placed a hand on your shoulder and nodded. "Alright, you two." he said. "Your dinner is in the kitchen. Would you mind leaving us be so (y/n) here can focus?" "Yes, Elder Kettle." the boys said simultaneously, then they dashed to the kitchen.
"Thank you so much." you said. hugging the Elder Kettle. "Do not thank me, my dear." he said. "It would be my honor to train a fine girl like you." You felt another tear begin to escape your eyes, so you quickly wiped it away. "Alright, my dear." he said. "Let us begin."

~Devil Pov~

(Possible trigger warning)