Chapter 1: The Beginning

Chapter 1

Emily's POV

"Honey, come down here now or you'll be late!! I'm the one paying for soccer!" My mom screamed to me from another room in the house. I smiled to myself. I may be late to practice but I just love hearing her voice. Quickly, I got my soccer bag and went downstairs. I told her a made up reason for being so slow. I didn't want her to know that I was spending 30 minutes on my phone. She knew I was lying but didn't know what I exactly was doing so I turned the radio on when I got into the car, avoiding any room for her to speak to me.

"We are never ever ever getting back together!" My mom sung along to the Taylor swift song and I just laughed as we got weird looks from the people in the car next to us; she wasn't just singing, she was singing a bit too loudly.

"Wake up!!"

My eyes fluttered open. I was drenched in sweat under my warm and comfy covers. The smile on my mom's face gave me pain. I still couldn't get in my head that she was dead. Why couldn't that driver had waited to answer a text? Then he wouldn't have crash into our car and kill my mom within minutes. It's been a long week since my parents' funeral and I haven't been able to do well in school, band, or sports. The sound of tires screeching on the road keeps replaying in my head, distracting me from everyone and everything else in my life.

I was with my mom when we were headed to the hospital. We got a call about my dad. He was undergoing surgery. My dad had a brain tumor. That's right, had. He died minutes after my mom died in the hospital. Now I'm alone. My brother Dylan has come up for a short amount of time but he has to go back to college soon.

I'm still alone, I have nowhere to go.

It's hard going to school. Every time I see the principal, I turn away. My dad was the principal before this one. It's also really hard because I'm a freshmen going from a public school to Catholic school. Everyone is so nice to me and I try my best to be happy but inside, I'm dying and sick of smiling. There may have been times when I wanted to run away or move out but I was never serious about it. Now I was going to have to move out of the place I called home for so long.

None of my family could take me in. My grandparents passed away years ago and my parents had fights with their old family so no one would even want to take me in. I didn't want to live with some good friends, I just need to get away from here. I'm not sure where I'm going yet-

"Get up, breakfast is on the table!"

My train of thought was derailed when my brother yelled up to me. Breakfast time. Thankfully my brother is a great cook. His food will comfort me and take my mind off of only having two people at the table. I slowly got out of my warm bed, I miss my parents coming to wake me up even though I hated it. I remember when my mom would come in and throw my covers off and when my dad would serenade me with loud, out of tune annoying music. And I remember when I would get up and stay in bed for an hour then my mom would yell at me to come downstairs, oh how I miss it all. I miss how angry she would get and how my dad would blast music and how I got cranky at them. Ugh, I just miss them. Even though I hated it, I miss how they would get mad at me for being on my phone all of the time and I miss how they'd yell at me. I just miss everything about them.

"Come down now Emily!" My brother yelled again and I rolled my eyes and climbed out of bed. He wasn't the same as our parents, he didn't know how to have fun when waking me up or how to be mad at me for not getting up. I got dressed and went down to meet my brother. I used to take forever to get dressed and my parents would yell at me, I never knew I would miss their yelling so much.

 A/N: Here's the first chapter, thank you so much for reading!