Where you're a cut above all the rest

"It's like 7:00 am and you want to go to the cemetery." Alex sighed.

"I never went to her funeral." I cut him off.

"Oh..." He said.

"Why here?" He asked with a much softer tone.

"Well I mean she did live here," I said as if the answer was obvious.

"We were too broke, and my 'father' was always too drunk or too high to even drive, I was six, let's just say I learned the world far too early," I added.

"Yikes..." He exclaimed.

*time skip

We stood on her grave, the cold whiff of air circling through us. Looking back, why did my mom leave Ryan for that son of a bitch. She did love me though, but maybe because I reminded her of Ryan, she grew distant. I always knew there was something between us, I was pretty mature for my age. I never really understood who she was.

"Who was she?" I asked to myself.

"I could honestly say the same," Alex said

"Um?"

"You know what me, you, and Nate all have in common?" He said.

"What?" I asked.

"Our mothers..." He said in an almost upset tone.

That's right, Alex never talked about his mom to anyone. I never go the full story of what happened, what I know is the information Tyler occasionally blurts out. Josh was very insecure about this issue he normally kept it to himself.

"I'm like you... I have so many questions that cannot be answered." He smirked.

"In school, I chose to keep myself hidden but then you came along. I... I... remember you standing up for Clair when Rachel was still around, you looked like someone who was... you know... is anxiety-free the right word? But then I saw you run to the restroom and cry. I realized you and I aren't that different, when I first saw you, I thought you'd be one of those 'popular' kids, but you weren't. I love you for it, you're not trying to impress anyone."

"Impressing is overrated." I joked.

I pressed my lips softly against his. Out of all places we managed to make out in the cemetery, not that's pretty fucked up. It felt better than our first.

 We had to stop because dad was actually ringing my phone. We both smiled and laughed, our lives are pretty hectic we basically raced to the hospital for no reason.

We had arrived at the door; I planted three soft knocks and went inside.

"Hello, Urie!" Alex greeted.

"Hi, dad how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Like shit." He said.

I chuckled; he puts himself up we was clearly in pain, but he brushed it off as it was nothing. I felt bad... I was also like that a few months ago.

"What were you two doing?" He asked with a raspy tone.

"Really?" Alex whispered questioningly.

"Ah... the cemetery?" I said awkwardly.

Dad was confused, his eyebrows were raised slightly and expression quickly turned into concern. As always Alex gave us some space. He still held on to the note while I quietly stood by. He looked at me, I went to his side and hugged him tightly. I felt tears but they weren't mine they were his.

"I'm sorry for what I said a while back, and I'm sorry you had to see me like this." He told me in a soft tone.

"It's okay." I smiled.

"Was it scary?" He asked me.

"Yes..." I mumbled.

"The doctor told me you broke a few ribs and your leg," I informed him.

"Heh, no wonder I feel like shit." He joked.

There were a few moments of silence. I didn't want to see him like this and he knew it. He gave me a reassuring look, a comforting look.

"And... Ryan?" He asked.

My smile quickly turned into a frown. the truth hit harder than expected, what if he doesn't wake up? He hasn't woken up yet he doesn't deserve this. Whatever he did in the past is in the past, he's now with us and here with me.

"He's still in a coma," I said, trying to hold back.

"Dad?"

"Yeah?"

"He's gonna be okay right?"

He thought for a moment then smiled, "Ryan will push through 'cause he's Ryan Ross."

I chuckled at his lighthearted response, why does he always look so innocent?

For the first time in a long time, I actually gave a sensible conversation. I basically just ranted about the little things or like that time he got mobbed in an airport. Just little awkward lighthearted talks to set up the mood.

Dad insisted to go see Ryan, it scares me. It only scares me because I always feel uneasy seeing people in a fragile condition. Dad told me twenty one pilots, and the Way bothers would be there.

I never cared this much for Ryan, I love him but am I ready to accept him as the other father?