Chapter Twenty-Six

I was in the middle of studying when someone knocked on the door of my room. Shortly, it was opened by my mother, which surprised me. Well, we rarely engaged with each other even in those few times that she was here. I wonder what she needs.

"Yes?" I awkwardly stood by the doorstep.

"I have to do some shopping for tonight's dinner. Do you want anything from the grocery, Lucy?" I gaped. How should I respond to this emotionally? This is the first time she asked me if I wanted something.

Napakamot naman ako sa ulo. Tumingin ako sa paligid upang alamin kung may kailangan ba akong ipabili. "Thanks, but I don't really need anything right now." naiilang kong sambit.

She smiled softly. "I see. I'll be heading out, then."

She was about to close the door when I held it firmly, stopping her from doing so. Nagtataka naman siyang tumingin sa akin.

"Uhm," I cleared my throat. "Need some help?"

She was taken aback by my offer. Sandaling natulala ang aking ina ngunit agad din siyang ngumiti nang makabawi siya. "Well, If it's okay with you, another pair of hands would be helpful, Lucy."

"Alright. Give me a minute to change."

As soon as she closed the door of my room, I breathed a sigh of relief. Is it funny that I don't know how to talk with my mother? Simply mustering the courage to start a conversation with her is taxing enough. I find it silly that both of us are so careful when talking with each other, as if walking on thin ice. I wanna change it.

It's never too late to recuperate our relationship.

Upon going downstairs, I found my twin brother idling on the living room. My mother, who just got out of her room, followed after me. Tinawag niya ang kapatid kong nagmumuni-muni sa sala.

"Your sister will accompany me to the supermarket. Babalik din kami agad, anak." malumanay niyang paalam kay Lars. My twin brother made a mocking face as he turned to me.

"Anong nakain mo at bumait ka yata, Lucy? It's not like you to accompany Mom outside. Are you done with the rebellious stage?"

I would've raised my middle finger to him if only Mom wasn't here with us. Hindi ko na lang siya pinansin at inirapan ko na lang si Lars. Every time he opens his mouth, he says nothing but unnecessary things that piss me off. I wish he'd just shut up.

"Lars." My mother called in a warning tone.

"I'm just kidding, Mom." He waved his hand. "Ingat kayo."

I left the house together with my mom. The supermarket was just a few streets away from us, so it was given that we'd travel by foot. I suddenly realized that it will be a long walk with her.

It was already six in the evening, but the sun was just about to set. Maraming estudyante sa paligid na pauwi pa lamang. In my case, we were dismissed early today because of a fogging event.

"Kamusta naman ang pag-aaral mo, Lucy?"

I was startled when she broke the silence. "Eh? Not bad, I guess. I'm a repeater, so I'm just taking the previous subjects that I had. I think I'll pass this time." I answered in all honesty. I was expecting words of disappointment from her, but she just smiled meekly to me.

This is odd. She's being too nice.

"Kailan mo ulit dadalhin si Haru sa bahay? I'd love to know him more. He's such an interesting boy." She told me.

"I'm not sure. Gusto mo bang papuntahin ko siya?"

She nodded. "You should introduce him to Leonard, too."