0208.

Monday, 1 February 2016

RECITATIVO.

It was raining

It was raining. Not pouring, causing all of someone's clothes to soak, but small light rain droplets hung in the air of London, making everyone's skin humid and impossible to somehow get dry again for days. The sky overhead was a swirl of white and dark grey, indicating an incoming storm, and Jackie couldn't wait to make a cuppa and watch it from the warm confines of her cosy bedroom. She walked out the door with the last box, handing it to Annie who mumbled a quick "thanks, Jack" before placing it in the boot of her dad's car. Turning back to the rest of the girl stood by the gate to the house, Annie sighed.

"I'm really going to miss you guys." She said, sounding genuine and Jackie felt incredibly sad all of a sudden.

"We're going to miss you, too." Tiana walked over to Annie, giving her a huge hug. "Send us a text when you're home in Luton, yea?"

Annie nodded as she pulled away from Tiana, turning to Teresa who gave her a short hug. The two had never really been close, though Jackie knew Teresa was sad to see Annie go under these circumstances. No one wished anyone this kind of ending to their time in uni. It was brutal figuring out you didn't like a course you were paying big money to attend; that you were paying to get a degree you wouldn't like. They gave each other a small smile before Annie walked over to Jackie. She hugged her tight, showing her how much she would be missed and that she didn't want her to ever leave.

Annie and Jackie had been the two introverts of flat 34 at Westbridge. While the other ones spent time together in the kitchen most nights, the two of them would stay in each their room by themselves. They both struggled with serious social anxiety, and Jackie hoped that in her hug, Annie could feel her wishing her all the best in the future. Jackie gave her back a rub, a tight squeeze, and then they stepped away from one another.

"Do call if you're ever around South London or Hampshire, yeah?" Jackie rested her hand on Annie's shoulder, smiling when she nodded.

The girls watched as Annie got into her car, waving back when she did. It was so weird seeing her drive away, knowing she wouldn't come back to their house and join them for the rest of the second semester of their second year. That she wouldn't be there for their third one. Tiana threw her arms around Teresa and Jackie, tugging them close to her as Annie drove away. They watched until she rounded the corner of their street and out of sight. Only then did Tiana let out a huge sigh, resting her head against Jackie's.