Chapter 18: Violet

I went to the rehab clinic to check on my mother. I haven’t seen her in a few days since the the night at the police station. I went there straight from school. I know Lily said she wanted for me to wait until my mother was done with rehab but I couldn't wait to see her. I just had to. I was again greeted by Lily who was waiting outside the clinic. This was the second time and it was a bit weird to see her in front of the doors again.
She was wearing the same clothes since the last time I saw her. I guess she doesn’t have a lot of clothes, or those were comfortable to her.
“Hi, Lily.” I said.
she turned to me and I saw her face. She looked tired. Her face was greasy and a bit dirty. Her eyes were as wide as ever and sunken, giving her very dark circles under her eyes. She smiled but it was slightly crooked. Her hair was in a bun but was still messy, with strands of hair covering her face.
“Are you ok?” I asked. Concerned.
“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine I just been up late. Your mother had a breakthrough last night. I’m fine.” She said those words in a quick and nervous manner.
I sighed, “I just wanted to let you know how thankful I am that you’re helping my mother. I don’t think she would have ever fought this battle without you, hell I don’t think I would have even helped her without you. Thank you Lily.”
I meant it from the bottom of my heart, I would hug her but with her manners at the moment I felt like it would make her uncomfortable.
“Yeah, no problem.” she said. Lily was a little off. Knowing her she would have said a lot more. She speaks with her heart, but right now it’s as if she was trying to get rid of me. I wondered if she was truly ok. She must be tired from staying up late.
“Do you think I can see my mother?” I asked. “I know she said that she doesn’t want me to see her until she’s done.”
I tried to open the door, Lily stopped me. She got in between me and the door.
“No, no your mother said that you should wait until she is clean, please wait.”
I thought for a second. I wondered why she wouldn’t let me in, Even if I did walk through those doors I would have to get passed the receptionist to even see her. Before I could say anything else, a black lexus pulled up in front of us. I knew it was Abigail.
She rolled down her window,
“Violet I need you to come with me.” She said.
“For what?” I asked. Usually I would have said something mean but I was still thankful for her getting my mother out of jail, not to mention I was still in the company of Lily. I didn’t want her to see me like that. I don’t even think she was paying attention, she was too busy looking down, thinking. I reverted my attention back to Abigail.
“The station called, they said they wanted me to go to the junkyard to get items from your father’s car, before it’s demolished. I thought you would like to come.”
I did want to go. I turned back to Lily and said, “Fine, I’ll wait until she’s clean.”
I hopped into the passenger seat and we were on our way.
“How did you know I was here?” I asked.
“I overheard you telling the cop she was in rehab. I know you love your mother enough to go see her, and this was the only rehab clinic in town. You weren’t home so I came here.”
“Well you’re smart I’ll give you that.”
I felt like I should still be nice to her. It would be rude of me not to. Now that I think about it I’m always rude to her. While I don’t like her I should at least treat her with some respect, it would be nice of me, and mature.
“Is that another addict you’re trying to help too?” Abigail asked.
Just like that she ruined our only moment of truce, even if she didn’t know it.
“No,” I said, in an irritated voice, “She’s my mother’s coach, helping her fight her addiction. She works at the clinic.”
“I’m sorry I just thought so because she looked like-”
“My mother?!” I shot back.
“No, Violet, I wasn’t going to say that-.”
“Whatever, just drive the damn car,”
Abigail breathed in and out. I could tell she tried to be quiet about it. She ruined the only damn moment where we didn’t argue.
The junkyard was like any other junkyard, basically different piles of garbage, old parts from  anything possible. The Junk yard was also connected to the train track, due to it passing so near the junkyard. The track was also the same track where my father had the accident, only a mile away to be exact. The pit in my stomach began to form. I felt like something bad was about to happen.
We were greeted by the junkyard owner. He told us to check my father’s car for anything they may have missed before it’s demolished.
The junkyard owner led us to the car. Abigail and I looked at each other once we saw it. I guess to make sure if we were both ok.
The car was not even a car anymore. What was left of my father’s red camaro was no more than two pieces, bent up and burned. The engine was destroyed and looked as if it was pushed through the car and into the trunk on impact. The seats were still intact, I was shocked that he wasn’t torn to pieces. I wondered why they really called us for, if they couldn’t find anything else then what made them think we could. I’m sure everything in that car was destroyed.
I walked up to the car first. I looked in what used to be the front seat. I saw old dried blood on them. I couldn’t look at it for too long. I bent down to see if I could find anything. Nothing. Abigail had went to the other part of the car and from what I could see, she found nothing also. We told the junk yard manager we couldn’t find anything. I could tell Abigail was on edge, as was I.
I became sceptical. Why the junkyard owner called us here?
“Why did you call us here?” I asked, “If you couldn’t find anything, we sure as hell couldn’t, the car is practically nothing.”
“Well that’s not all,” he said, his hands were fidgeting, “As you know the track right beside our yard we also manage and inspect, and we have cameras set up on the tracks. There’s something you gotta see.”
I already knew what it was . He was going to show us my dad. How he died, how it all happened. I didn’t want to see it, but I followed him anyway, and it seems Abigail thought the same thing.
We followed him into his little workshop in the center of the junkyard. The workshop was small, and could fit no more than ten people, about the size of my room.The place was cluttered with junk itself, probably valuable junk. He led us to a corner where there were multiple TVs mounted on the wall. He grabbed a remote and  began to play a recording.
Abigail began to awkwardly move, she seemed uncomfortable. I kept that in mind.
The video began to play. It was a good view of the train track and was at a crossing, but the video had no color. The bells on the poles began to ring and light up. The two gates on either side of the train track began to come down. At the bottom of the video was a camaro coming into view. I’m pretty sure it was my father’s. The camaro moved around the gates and stopped dead on the track.
I began to sweat. Move, move! I thought. The car just stayed there. I began to hear the sound of the train. I watched as the light coming from the left side of the video get brighter, until…. I watched as my father’s car was hit and ripped in two.
I jumped and yelped. I began to cry. I felt the arms of Abigail which I readily accepted. I felt comforted by her for the first time. I was crying my eyes out on her shoulders and I had no problem with it. I wondered if I considered her family and not know it. I rejected those thoughts. Rose was my only mother.
I looked at her face. She had shock but it wasn’t a surprise shock. It was more of an expected shock. I couldn’t help but notice.
“You knew?” I asked.
Abigail froze. She knew I could read her like a book, she had no choice but to tell the truth.
“Yes.” she said.
My rage peaked once I heard her say that word. I pushed her away and she fell. She was clutching her stomach but I know I pushed her by her shoulders.
“You knew my father was suicidal, you knew he killed himself!” I yelled. The Junkyard worker stood back, he didn’t want to be apart of this.
Abigail stood up, “No, I only found out after he died, I just didn’t want to tell you because I took your feeling into consideration.”
“You amoral bitch! He’s my father, I deserve to know everything that happened!”
I walked away, deciding to walk home. “you deserve every bad thing that you got coming to you, that day will come, and I hope I’m near you when it does you white bitch.”
I walked home slowly to calm my nerves. I couldn’t believe Abigail would hide something as big as this from me. Just when I started to show a little respect for her, she had to go and do this.  I should continue to treat her like I always did.
Once home Abigail was already asleep, I must have been walking more slower than usual. I saw a plate of food in front of my door. It was Pizza. It was already cold, she must have expected me to be home early. I wasn’t hungry at all. I grabbed the plate and threw it down the stairs, shattering the glass plate. I was sure that woke her up. “I don’t want anymore of your food!” I screamed. I slammed the door on the way into my room.
I layed down on my bed and began to cry. Tonight was the first time I cried over my father’s death, and as hard as this night was, I was relieved to let out all of the emotions I didn’t want to feel. All of the sorrow, pity, anger, and emptiness in my stomach, just out.