The Freak In Me (The Letter VN)

"So you're finally out the closet then?" Kam asked Marianne.

Haruna swooned over Marianne and her new girlfriend. "I don't believe it. Marianne McCollough and Hannah Evans: two female entrepreneurs in love in a male-dominated field. You two are the talk of Luxbourne City!"

Kam lit up a cigarette. "You're the hottest couple in the town."

"Why I can't believe we're on the same table as the former Mrs Wright herself."

Kam rubbed Marianne's shoulder. "We're so happy for you. I hope we're getting invites to the wedding."

Hannah laughed. "Oh it's a bit too early to talk about that, but I promise, if we do get married you two will be the first to know. You can even be bridesmaids if you want."

"Sounds lush."

Marianne coughed, wishing that Kam and Haruna would get rid of the dirty habit. Even better not smoke right in her face. Hannah put up with them like a professional. They were both business women and knew the right words to say at the exact time. Hannah had that edge that made her stand out from the others. She had a special charm about her. It laid deeper than her golden locks of hair, large chest and bright blue eyes. She had charisma. She wasn't like one of those socialites that were famous for being famous.

The fame and fortune didn't faze her. The most golden thing about Hannah was her heart of gold. The divorce never changed that. Marianne and Hannah had high hopes for the future. They both wanted to continue their businesses, even improve them if possible. Marianne loved her stepchildren but dreamed of adopting her own daughter and calling her Mariko. Everything was hands on for the couple even when Luke had them all for the occasional weekend.

A few shots later, the four women burst into giggles as they enjoyed complimentary drinks from the generous blokes with deep pockets. Their intentions remain unclear, but irrelevant for Hannah and Marianne whom affection becomes more obvious with every drop of alcohol consumed.

Haruna and Kam had to leave. They hitched a ride with one of their friends and left Marianne and Hannah alone in the booth.

"Aren't they lovely? I love Kam's shoes? I wonder where she got them from? Ted Baker? Cath Hudson? They really looked designer."

Marianne shook her head as she guzzled down wine. "They're just cheap tack from Primark."

"Really?"

"Those heals won't last five minutes with the way she drinks." Marianne rested her forehead on the table, trying and failing to mask the hiccups. "Ah I do love a girls' night out."

Hannah mimicked her movements. "Me too. I wish I never stopped doing them."

"Hey, don't you think it's a bit hot in here?"

Hannah removed her cardigan. "They've got the heating up. It's a tactic to get us thirsty so we order more drink and then they make more money."

"My throat is dry. I want to get a drink."

"Oh Marianne darling, you're almost as bad as Luke. And this is why I don't like absinthe."

"Why don't you try some? I don't think you've even tried it before."

"I just know I won't like it. I like sweet, creamy and fruity drinks like baileys, ciders and some vodkas. I'm partial to a little bit of rose too."

"Hah!" Marianne was in hysterics. "A little bit? Hannah honey, you drank two whole bottles just now."

She shrugged her shoulders taking off her dress too. "It's not my fault. You were just a bad influence on me."

"Hannah why are you stripping off?"