Chapter Two - Yuki Rey

I woke up to the feeling of something bumping into my leg. I squinted, looking up. It was Rachel ramming into me with her wheelchair. I held up my hand with three fingers raised in an effort to get her to agree to giving me a few more minutes of rest. She didn't let up, so I begrudgingly got up to my feet, then helped myself to one of her hoodies.

I crawled under her desk to recover a pair of my shoes that I'd left a few visits ago. It wouldn't be a good idea to wear my specialized shoes to school. I went over and grabbed my phone, which was no longer connected to the charger, and checked for messages. There was one from my father confirming that John was going to be waiting for me at the school, but that was it.

I turned around to Rachel, who sat in front of me, annoyed. She said something, pointed to the blanket on the floor, then left the room. I picked up the blanket and tossed it onto her bed. I grabbed the folder of homework I'd been working on last night, and then followed Rachel out of the room. I checked the phone again and realized that the likelihood of us being late to school today was relatively high.

Rachel's mother had made pancakes. After quickly eating, the two of us headed out of the apartment, down the hall, and out into the street.

We'd missed the bus, but we could still make the train, so we rushed over to the subway station. I dumped the folder into Rachel's lap (which already held her stuff for school) then carried her and her chair underground to the platform. Rachel was unfortunate enough to live near one of the few stations in Denner city without a ramp. The chair was light, and due to Rachel missing most of her legs, she weighed lighter than the average person so it was easy for me to carry her. 

Luckily, we managed to catch the right train. A few of our classmates who lived nearby were also onboard. We didn't really interact. I stood next to Rachel half-asleep, and waited for her to let me know when it was our stop.

Eventually she tugged on my arm, letting me know that we were at the right place, and I pushed her out of the train car. The station near the school had a ramp, but it was kind of steep so I still had to push her up. Once we were at the top and down another block we were at the school.

There were still a lot of other students coming in, so I was relatively confident that I wasn't too late. And even if I was- then I wasn't the only one who'd be stuck in lunch detention. I was about to walk through the front doors, when I felt someone grab my hood and pull it down.

I spun around, my hands held up in front of me, but then relaxed once I saw who it was. It was John.

"It's been a while." He signed to me.

"It's barely been a week." I replied, then took the folder back from Rachel's outstretched hand. She waved to me, and headed off to her locker.

I pulled the red hood back up, covering my long, brown hair, and headed straight to homeroom. I'd left my backpack in my locker over the weekend, but from what I could remember there was nothing in there that I needed for class.

I sat down where I normally sat at the front of the classroom, and John stood in front of me. I rolled down my right sleeve, and grabbed a hair tie. I made a vague attempt to tidy my hair, and gestured towards it, trying to see how John would react. He ignored me.

I sighed and laid my head on the desk in front of me, waiting as the room slowly filled up. Sometimes it bugged me that my father had him follow me around, but he could come in handy on occasion.

John was tall and as always- wearing a dark blue suit. He had short black hair and a beard, and wore a pair of dark sunglasses that were no doubt showing him an augmented view of reality. Probably was assessing whether or not any of my classmates posed a threat like the paranoid hire he was.

I sat up a bit and went through the folder. The stuff on top seemed somewhat reasonable but as I went through the stack, my answers appeared less and less coherent. Well, it was too late for me to do something now.

~_~

I closed the door to my locker and started to head off with Rachel when John got in our way.

"You're going to come home today." He insisted.

"Later." I replied, wanting to spend the afternoon with Rachel.

He continued to protest, but I ignored him, leaving with Rachel to go off to the bookstore. I didn't know what my father told him, but John was constantly trying to keep me on a kind of a schedule after school. It'd been months since he really tried at it, so I wasn't worried that he'd leave me alone for the next few hours - and maybe stalk me from a distance just in case.

I didn't really mind for the most part. He was just doing his job. Rachel got kind of paranoid about it sometimes though.

~_~

When we got to the bookstore, we spent a while among the comics, reading the latest stories right there.

Eventually, when I was putting away a magazine, I noticed an odd book on one of the shelves labeled "A History Of Magic." I pulled it out and noticed that it was old and had a cover of dark blue leather. I brought it over to the table where Rachel was stationed at and showed it to her.

She looked it over. Except for the title, the cover was bare. There was no barcode or description. She opened up the book, and the pages were blank. We looked at each other and grinned.

We'd found a Grimoire.