Chapter Six - Yuki Rey

I sat in class, frustrated that I was forced to learn about numbers and shapes when I literally had flames available at my fingertips. Why wasn't it something that could be taught in schools and not something that was hidden and discouraged? If I'd known how cool it was, I'd have looked for a Grimoire a long time ago.

Once this semester was over, I was going to leave Hamsterdamn. I would go somewhere magic was legal. I would go under the guise of simply studying abroad. Or maybe I could just leave. Who said that I had to go to college? My dad couldn't control me once I turned 18, which wasn't too far off into the future. Hopefully, Rachel would come with me. She might go along with it. Or maybe not. To be honest, I wasn't sure.

For now, I was stuck sitting in a classroom watching John's hands as he explained the teacher's boring lesson.

~_~

After school, Rachel and I met at the bookstore.

Can I stay at your place tonight?

I knew it was still Wednesday, but I didn't want to be home tomorrow morning. My dad was doing something, and I'd learned a long time ago that I probably shouldn't be around when he didn't want me around.

Sorry. My mom thinks that you got me sick because when we cut I used that excuse. She doesn't want you staying over for a few days.

I sighed.

Alright.

She looked apologetic, and I knew it was mostly my fault.

I stood up and walked around the bookstore, optimistically searching for something that might be a disguised Grimoire. I didn't find one, and ended up reading a comic book. I read next to Rachel, who was reading a novel that she'd been working through for the past few times we'd come to the bookstore.

After a few hours, I'd gotten a message from John saying that I needed to head home. When I got it, I saw him standing across the bookstore. Sometimes I wondered if other people noticed this adult man following around a teenager and found it suspicious. Rachel was alright with it, she just thought of him as my interpreter, and knew that it was his job to help me out with interacting with other people. But outside of school, I found it really unnecessary.

At least he'd be leaving me alone for the rest of the week. When father wanted me out of the house, I rarely saw John outside of school. I wish I knew what went down when he wanted me away, but to be honest I was better off not knowing.

I left the bookstore, and headed home.

~_~

I stood in my room, and looked out the window. It was dark out. I checked my phone. Still Wednesday. My backpack was beside the window. Inside was a charger, a battery pack, a change of clothes, some snacks, some money, and of course, the Grimoire.

I picked up the bag, confirmed that it was all zipped up, and slipped it onto my back. I opened the window, climbed out onto the fire escape, and down into the alley. I headed towards the back, and made my way down a side street and out to a different bigger one that led away from where I lived.

One of the perks of living in a big city such as Denner, was that you could just head out and wander at any time of the day and no one would wonder what you were doing. The only problem was the possibility of tourists looking for directions. Rachel would usually help them out for me on the few occasions when we were approached by individuals who didn't know where they were going. While she wasn't with me tonight, I was confident that no one from out of town would be out in the middle of the night.