Chapter Nineteen - Marigold Johnson

Aileen had introduced us to the pool room. Rachel pretended not to be interested, but I knew better. I carried her on my back to the room. I walked along the edge of the room, and went to one of the paths closer to the middle of the room. After placing Rachel down to sit on the edge, I jumped into the clear freshwater pool.

The light yellow shirt she wore clung to her body due to the water that flung up after my splash. She complained a bit, then reached down with her hand to push water at me when I resurfaced. I smiled, and pushed water back at her.

I wondered if there was a spell that would allow her to regrow her legs, and then suddenly I was worried about her reaction upon reading that thought.

"Can you go and see if there's any book like that?" she asked.

I nodded, and swam off to the door, splashing her as I left. I wasn't too concerned about being seen by anyone else in The Box in just my underwear. When I was at home, my moms and my brother would complain about me wandering around the house naked; and at my dorm room, my roommate was religious and would be slightly horrified at my typical outfits. Most reptiles tend to dress warmer, but somehow, I don't get cold easily despite my blood. Might have something to do with my fire abilities.

I headed off to the room with all of the Grimoires, and selected a Volume #1. I found a pen on a shelf, and wrote my name in it, I then flipped through to page 7 where I wrote down "regrow limbs". I was directed to page 20 of Volume #15.

I found the book, then wrote down my name. I flipped to page 20. This mark would allow you to regrow your own limbs. It worked only one at a time, and used up a lot of energy. You would need to eat a lot immediately after using the spell, the amount of food depending on how much of your body you grew back.

I brought the book to Rachel, and handed her the pen, which had grown somewhat wet while the book had not. She wrote her name down, then turned to page 20. She quickly checked the mark. I had the same weird feeling on my back when she read the mark as when we first kissed. I think that when you have a soul mate, you share all marks. I'd have to check.

Anyways, she read the mark then attempted to get back her legs. After about ten minutes of struggling, her right leg expanded down about a centimeter. She stopped, panting.

"Why isn't it working?" She looked up at me. "All the other spells worked easily, except for fire at first."

"I guess so far the spells you've been trying are things you can do easily. There's some things that I had a lot of trouble doing. Anything involving metal transformation and I'm completely lost." I admitted.

"I guess." She was upset.

I climbed out of the warm water, and sat around her, moving her into my lap. "Its alright." As I embraced her, I could feel a wave of sadness run over her. The memory appeared in my mind, and immediately I knew that it wasn't mine.

In the memory, I could see two people. They stood to the side and were tall. From what I could see of them they looked like Rachel, with dark skin and black hair, but older. Suddenly there was some kind of an explosion, and the memory changed to a hospital room where the point of view looked down to see no legs.

There was adult whispers about a magical terrorist attack, and about what would happen to this little girl now that she had no parents or legs. There was first rolls in a wheelchair, and meeting the one my beloved would eventually refer to as "mom."

I squeezed Rachel tighter as the memory faded from my vision. I'd never know my real parents. I'd only ever known the two women who'd raised me since I was just a baby. A biracial mammal/reptile couple who I loved dearly, but knew weren't the ones who'd created me. Honestly though, they were better seeing as how they actually wanted me. But Rachel's parents had wanted her. It wasn't their fault that they were separated, especially at such a young age.

I was very sympathetic for my soul mate, and wanted her to know how much I felt for her. Through our linked minds, she knew, and we both had a good cry.

When we were finished, I noticed Yuki come in with a Grimoire. He was bending down to touch the water near he entrance.

"What are you doing?" I asked him. He didn't respond.

Through Rachel I was reminded that he couldn't hear, and I felt like an idiot.

"You're not an idiot," Rachel said. "You just don't know Yuki well yet."

"I'll have to get to know him then," I declared.

"Sounds like a plan." I rolled us both into the pool in front of us, and we plummeted to the bottom. Thanks to the marks from chapter 15, we could both breathe. Luckily while Rachel couldn't do all body modification spells, she could do this one.

Once we were sitting at the bottom, I removed her shirt. The mark for breathing underwater was colored orange on her back, indicating that it was in use.

When I moved around to kiss her, I noticed that her eyes were closed, unlike mine. Then, I remembered that mammals had much weaker eyes than reptiles such as myself. Their faces were also much bumpier than our smooth ones. I kissed her on the lips, then nibbles on her ear, which stuck out as mammal ears do.

In my mind, I could feel what Rachel wanted me to do, and I happily did it. Just as I was covering her with kisses, there was a disturbance that caused the calm water to move as a wave, pushing us apart and across the pool.