Chapter Eighteen - Yuki Rey

Today was a Saturday where Cris finally filled me in on what we were doing. To be honest, I'd already guessed most of what he said that we were doing. That was, of course, leaving Grimoires in places and recruiting more and more people to practice magic.

Apparently the trip underwater had something to do with this, but he wouldn't say what. He asked me to make 5 copies of Grimoire number one to be spread around the next locations we visited. He went up to the bike, leaving me to make copies.

I was a bit bored, so I decided to experiment with what could be used to make a Grimoire. I went to the kitchen, and took a carton of eggs out of the fridge. I held the carton in one hand, and the book in the other. Nothing happened. I wrote my name inside of the first Grimoire. I put the pen down, and picked up the egg carton again. I felt the chill of magic, then suddenly I was holding a second Grimoire.

It was grey and yellow and white. The book was a softcover and parts of the pages felt slimy. Nothing came off though, and it seemed like a perfectly reasonable copy. All the words were written in eggshell blue.

I then went off to the pool with just the original Grimoire. I could see Rachel and Marigold off on one of the paths doing something. I made a successful attempt at making a Grimoire out of water. It was beautiful, the pages were translucent and were sheets of water that moved slightly. The words were written in ice that had solidified into letters. Magic was awesome.

I made two more out of bottles from the recycling bin, then left The Box with just the water one. Cris told me to place it in a public location disguised as something that would attract the right kind of people.

We were located in a large city a few hours away from Denner called Yenke. It was so green. I'd seen plenty of rooftop gardens and trees along sidewalks in Denner, but not to this extent. There were plants everywhere. I kind of knew this town, I'd been here once on a school trip years ago, but it was like the whole place had been through a revolution or something.

There was a massive lake near this place. It was like the equivalent of Denner's forest. As a result, Yenke has far more people of the amphibian race than my hometown.

As I went through town looking for a library, I noticed some protestors. They were advocating for magical use to be legal, and there were a lot of them. Several of the protesters had their backs exposed, showing their circles and sparsely located and tiny marks. None of them had as many marks as Cris or Bell, or even Aileen. Still, there were a lot of circles. The Amphibians in the march were creating flowers along the side of the street. The mammals and the few reptiles were creating small fires on top of their heads that simply sat there, burning nothing.

I almost wanted to join, but I had a job to do. I found the library, and I invisibly went in. I'd since read more into Volume 40, and had acquired invisibility that would make other objects invisible so that no one could see the book I carried. I wandered through the library and just as I was considering leaving the book with someone outside, I noticed someone sitting at a table in a corner.

It was a little girl reading a book. I checked the cover. It was a book of fairytales. I placed the Grimoire next to her on the table, and waited for her to notice it. She did after about a minute.

After looking around for who left it, and checking for a bar code, she opened it up. She seeped disappointed that to her, most of the pages in this incredible book appeared blank. I pulled a pen out of my pocket, and flipped the book to page one. I placed the pen on the table next to the book.

Startled, the girl tentatively wrote her name down. Amy Rivers. I watched as she slowly and excitedly read through the first few pages. After she read the circle mark, she closed the book, and placed it in a bag next to her. It was dirty and slightly ripped, like everything else that she wore.

I watched as she struggled to create fire and was about to walk way when I saw an interestingly sad thought. "I wish whoever left this would take me with them."

I sighed, and made myself visible.

"Hello." I sent to the girl's mind.

"Wow." She thought. "Thank you. Can I come with you? Are you magic?" There were so many words coming out of her mouth and racing though her mind.

With a closer look at her thoughts, I could see that she was an eleven-year-old orphan who'd run away from a group home. I could see how something magical and new would be a welcome alternative, even if little was known about it.

"Oh, alright. Come with me." I sent.

She jumped up excitedly and followed me out of the library. I headed out towards where Cris had parked the bike. We had to go back around the protesters. A police force had appeared since I was in the library to contain the crowd.

As I walked, I noticed an argument break out between some of the protesters and police. A protester pinched an officer in the face, and guns were drawn as he went down. I stopped time, and ran forward, pushing back the crowd around the guy.

I resumed time and said aloud to the officers in an assumedly shaky and hoarse voice, "STOP!" I held up my hands and repeated myself a few times. "STOP!"

I crouched down, and touched the guy, healing his face. I stood back up, and turned around. I sent out my thoughts to the crowd. "Violence is not the answer." I looked at the attacker, who seemed shocked and intimidated by my interference. "Its not the answer."

I walked back to Amy, and continued leading her to The Box.

"That was amazing," she thought.

"Thank you." I intruded her thoughts.

Once we were back in the mirror room, I asked her to take off her old brown shoes.

Aileen and that mysterious lizard woman with the prosthetics were talking in the kitchen. Upon seeing Amy, Aileen jumped up and ran up to her. I explained the situation.

Aileen immediately took her to the bathroom to shower and wash her hair. Somehow, she also had clothing that fit her, as I saw her wearing new clothes when she left the room with Aileen.

"You shouldn't be bringing random kids in," the woman said, taking a sip of her coffee. "That's not really any of my business though."

I didn't respond. What was with her? Why did her shirt have several bullet holes? Why was she seizing me up? Why couldn't I catch any surface thoughts from her?

I felt uncomfortable, so I left the room and went to mine. I was browsing the local news when I suddenly felt the box shake.