Chapter 3

The bell rang signalling it was the end of the day and I couldn't have been more grateful, I said goodbye to all of my students as they left my room then I stood up to straighten up my desk.

I collected my belongings, and my students books that I would have to mark, usually I would stay in school and mark them and leave them on my desk, but today I just wanted to get home, sit on my sofa, order in a Chinese take away, have a glass of red wine and relax my body.

I took a slow walk out of the school and over to my car, I opened the passenger door placing the books on the seat, then walking around to the drivers side and climbing in.

I ran my hands through my hair and adjusted my glasses on the bridge of my nose before turning the key in the ignition and backing out of the parking space.

As soon as I pulled out of the school parking lot, rain started coming down on my window.

"Just in the nick of time" I spoke outloud to myself turning on my window wipers.

Within two minutes of the rain starting the heavens had opened up and it is now absolutely pouring down, I feel sorry for anyone that got caught in this weather.

I stopped at traffic lights, waiting for them to change from red to green when I see Emma walking along the sidewalk, it's absolutely pouring down and this poor girl has to walk home in it.

I should offer her a ride home, but that would be really inappropriate, a teacher dropping her student home? but who would find out? it's not like I was actually going to tell anyone.

Before I could think further I heard my own voice calling her name.

She looked over her shoulder and then at the row of cars looking for whoever called her name.

"Hey Emma" I called waving at her through the now open passanger window.

"Oh Hey Miss. Harding" she shouted finally noticing me.

"Do you want a ride home?" I asked her.

"No it's okay I can walk" She told me.

"It's pouring down" I said.

"I noticed" She said holding her hands out palms up towards the sky.

"Come on, get in" I told her.

I looked up at the traffic lights, seeing them changing to amber, I'm going to get bibbed soon if she doesn't hurry up.

Emma contemplated her decision for a few seconds before running over and jumping into my car as the lights turned green, I put my foot on the gas pedal and slowly started driving in this heavy downpour.

"So where do you live?" I asked glancing sideways at her quickly before I looked back at the road.

"I am soaking your car, sorry" She said apologetically.

"It'll dry" I waved her off and I caught her smiling at me from the corner of my eye.

"So what road do you live on?" I asked her.

"Oh James close" she told me.

"You was going to walk that far? That's a 25 minute walk on a good day, are you crazy? You would've got sick and I can't have that" I told her shaking my head.

"Why not?" She asked turning her body sideways so she could watch me, that now familiar smirk on her face.

"Because then you'd be too sick to come into school so you won't learn anything" I told her trying to play it off.

"Is that the only reason?" She asked me.

"Of course, what other reason could there be Emma?" I asked her heating up and fidgeting under her constant stare.