Chapter 5

Ikalimang Kabanata

I spy

"Ang haba ng hair!" Julianna teased. She's imitating that line from the previous commercial that aired on my television.

Umirap ako sa kaniya. I placed the coffee mug on the table between us. "It is still a mystery of how he got my number."

Pagkainip ang bumalatay sa mukha niya nang tignan ako. Parang gusto niyang sabihin na napakamanhid ko. "Earth to Maeve! You just dropped your numbers to him, four months ago." She reminisced.

I frustratedly held out my hand. "Why? I thought he didn't catch what I was trying to say!"

"We thought so, but turns out that soldier boy have his ways."

"Alright," Natulala ako saglit. Thinking hard on what should be my next move. "What if he called again? Or message me?"

"Relax." Juli shushed. "I don't think he is really interested in you." She blurted, her eyes widening. "For the love of my boyfriend, Maeve, four months! Four months of memorizing your number, yet he didn't bother to call you?" She pressed further, taking note of the dates.

"Until now," pagdadalawang-isip ko.

I am on my 'what ifs'.

"Until now!" Juli claimed. "Why would he call you now? He's free, not busy? Bored in their camp? No wars to go to? He's looking for a girl to play with? Maeve, I am telling you, you can't read a soldier's mind."

"Pero—" Pinutol ko ang balak kong sabihin dahil panigurado'y babaliktarin na naman iyon ni Julianna at hahanap ng butas upang ipamukha sa akin na tama siya at walang maidudulot na maganda si Admiral Miguel para sa akin.

Pero paano kung mali lahat ng sinasabi niya. The thought of Admiral Miguel holding my contact number for four months is enough to calm my nerves. Iniisip ko na hindi niya pa rin ako kinalilimutan kahit pa maraming buwan na ang nagdaan. Kasi ako, aaminin ko, sa loob ng apat na buwan na palipat-lipat ako ng lugar, hindi ko nilimot ang pangalan niya.

What if he also feels the same way?

Wait, what same feelings? What am I feeling towards him?

"You just realized it, right?" Juli interrupted my haywire of confused thoughts. "Please tell me you do realize that I am right and what you are thinking is wrong, Maeve."

Sinalubong ko ang tingin niyang nangungusap. She really seems to be concern towards me and my feelings. Ramdam na ramdam ko iyon and I am feeling thankful kahit hindi ko man sabihin sa kaniya.

"Tell me, Juli," I started. "Why are you so afraid of the idea that I am dating a guy who has the same profession like your boyfriend?"

She sighed and brought her knees down on the carpeted floor. Inabot niya ang kamay ko upang hawakan. "Maeve, I know how foolish you can be when you are in love."

"I've never been in love, Juli." I stated.

"I know, I know. Trust me, Maeve, I know. I am your best friend and I know your look when you are in love. You're right, you've never been in love. And I want you to fall in love with someone who can't make you feel like it is your first love. I wish you a love that is going to take care of you, to always care and think of you."

"Excuse me?" I can't understand a thing, Julianna.

"And a soldier cannot give you the love I am wishing for you. He's not always gonna be there for you, like I always do, Maeve. I know you want someone who's always there, who's only one call away. A soldier isn't like that. They will never be."