Chapter Two

Catalina

I wrote down a list of things I needed to get done. Lists helped me feel better when I was stressed out and motivated me to get things done, though I almost never checked anything off the lists I had made in the past.

So far I had down to get multiple suits, be able to do a push up, explore my ability more, finish my biology project, and plan out my next outing. Outing was short for robbery.

Since I was at school and at lunch, I decided to tackle the biology project off my list. I didn't remember my partner's name, but I did know what his face looked like. We'd have to rush to turn in the slideshow before the bell rang. Which was at twelve. We had five minutes.

We were doomed.

I found the kid sitting alone. He was blonde, so of course his nickname was going to be Blondie. Not to be confused with Blonde Boy.

I cleared my throat, causing Blondie to glance up at me. "Hey."

I sat down across from him. "We should work on our bio project."

Blondie stared at me for a moment, then checked the time on his phone. "We have three minutes until the bell rings. Why didn't you find me sooner?"

"I was watching YouTube..."

Blondie facepalmed. "Don't even worry about it. I already did the project by myself at 3 in the morning. It's already turned in. Just read every other slide when we're presenting."

Whoops. Mega whoops. I'm a horrible partner.

I stood up. "Oh, thanks. Well, see you in bio and FACS."

By the end of the day, disaster struck.

"Today you'll be guessing your own measurements to create puppy chow," my FACS teacher informed the class.

I glanced at Blondie with a sinking stomach. "We have to make dog food?"

Blondie burst out laughing. He braced himself on the counter and clutched his stomach as everybody turned to stare. I glowered at my sorry excuse for a partner, wondering if I could get away with kicking him.

"Zachary, come up here and get your ingredients," Ms. Grant ordered.

Damn. I didn't even get a chance to look up the measurements online. She'd call me out if I tried to now. On the bright side, I know Blondie's name.

Zachary did all the work, but I didn't think he was doing it right. I dumped powdered sugar all over the disgusting Chex mix and glanced at him. "This doesn't look too good, Zachary."

He cringed. "Just call me Zack."

"Whatever you say, Zack Attack."

"Catalina, shut your mouth."

I scowled. "Don't call me Catalina"

"What would your prefer I call you then, Your Highness?" Zack asked, picking up a piece of puppy chow and shoving it in his mouth. I started snickering as he gagged and spit it out. "Why's it so salty?!"

I shrugged. "I added water into it at some point."

"What?!"

I shrugged again. "I decided to add water into the mix."

"I hate you," Zack muttered.

I rolled my eyes. He was too dramatic. "Call me Cat or Lina." I picked up a piece of puppy chow. "It can't be that bad."

He raised his eyebrows and avoided eye contact. "If you say so."

I spit it out as soon as I took a bite. The texture was soggy, the peanut butter chocolate burned my tongue, and Zack was right. It was somehow salty.