Chapter Nine: Lacrosse and a Bestiary

“I’m so sorry about the other day. I’m trying. We’ll get through this. I know because I love you. I love you more than and oh my god! You and Allison are just gonna have to find another way to communicate,” Stiles says impatiently.

“Come on,” Scott pleads. “You’re the only one we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?”

“Yes, okay. Message complete,” Stiles says clearly frustrated.

I chuckle as I listen to their exchanges. Derek informed me about the Argents and how their daughter is dating Scott McCall. The two teenagers are attempting to keep their relationship a secret from her parents but it’s only a matter of time until they find out. Especially since her grandfather is now the principal.

The two boys hear my laugh and turn to see me standing behind Stiles. Despite Derek telling me that Stiles was safe, I still wanted to see him myself. I couldn’t begin to explain the relief I felt at seeing the spastic teenage boy standing in front of me.

“Alright, now tell us about your boss,” Stiles says as he motions between the two of us. His use of ‘us’ surprises me since the two boys barely know anything about me but I don’t question it. Neither does Scott apparently.

“Uh, he thinks Allison’s family keeps some kind of records of all the things that they’ve hunted. Like a book.”

“He probably means a bestiary,” I say. Scott looks up at me, a smile playing at his lips.

“What?”

“A bestiary,” Stiles repeats.

Scott laughs. “Pretty sure you mean bestiality.”

Stiles and I exchange looks before he responds.

“Uh, nope. Pretty sure we don’t. It’s like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures.”

The smile on Scott’s face slips away. Now he looks positively irritated.

“How am I the only one who doesn’t seem to know anything about this stuff?” Yeah, he’s definitely irritated. Poor guy. He is completely unprepared for all of this.

“Okay, you know, you’re my best friend, you’re a creature of the night, it’s kind of like a priority of mine,” Stiles says in an attempt to soothe Scott.

“I’ve grown up in the supernatural world my entire life and I still don’t know everything there is to know,” I chime in.

“Speaking of which, you still haven’t shared anything about yourself with us,” Scott says and I sigh.

“Let’s get the bestiary first and I’ll tell you everything you want to know,” I say. Honestly, there just hasn’t been time to tell the two boys. Maybe they should take a leaf out of Derek’s book and break in to my apartment and never leave.

I pull into the parking lot in my new car. After school, I decided it was time I invest in one. I can’t always count on Derek to be able to give me rides or pick me up. Actually, he usually isn’t able to pick me up which leaves me waiting an hour for a cab. Alone. In the dark.

From my parking spot, I can see the familiar field lit up. People are already sitting in the bleachers while players are warming up for the game. I reach over to the passenger seat and pull a heavy cardigan around my shoulders. I also took the liberty of changing before I left for the game. Instead of black slacks and a business casual blouse, I now sport a fitting orange, long sleeve shirt, dark blue skinny jeans, and riding boots. The cardigan is my only defense against the cold, night air.