Chapter 16 ~ Late For Shift

Brooklyn's POV

Sitting up I gave Casey a small smile before getting up to get coffee.

"You made the wrong coffee," I yelled to Casey.

He walked into the kitchen with a worried look on his face.

"What do you mean wrong coffee?" he asked

I held up the coffee pot and then walked over to the kettle filled it with water and put it on to boil, I then got a mug. Then got the coffee out of the cupboard and put them in. along with some sugar. After the kettle boiled, I poured it into the mug and topped it with milk and took a sip. Casey just stood there confused.

"Oh... I don't drink that coffee." I said pointing to the other coffee.

"why?" he asked

"I lived in Australia for a bit and this was the only stuff I drank and I have never gone back."

He just stood there nodding his head. I then managed to find some things to make for breakfast. We made some bacon and eggs. We then sat down and ate our breakfast. It somehow felt good sitting here there with Casey, and it didn't feel awake at all. After breakfast, we did the dishes and cleaned up the kitchen and lounge room from last night. I then needed to go grocery shopping before the next shift so I could eat breakfast before I left.

6 am next day

I wake up and get changed into some skins and a tank top. I then find my headphones and plug them into my phone. I then set out for my morning run before the shift. I run for about an hour before I head home. I then realise I will be late if I have a shower before I leave so I just grab my shift bag and drive to the house.

Getting into my jeep I set out to the firehouse. When I reach the main road, I hit traffic. As I watch the time on my dashboard I have to accept the fact I will be late. One thing the same in Chicago and LA it the traffic and I hate it.

I finally make it to the house about 10 minutes late. Grabbing my bag, I quickly run into the house realising I am late for the morning briefing. I run into the change room and go to my locker only to see someone has put a lock on my locker, I still haven't got a lock for my locker but was going to bring one on my second shift. Here I am on my second shift with a lock in my bag and there is already one on there a combination one too. Dropping my bag in front of my locker I walk out to the truck to get a pair of bolt cutters. Surprise, surprise there are none there. Walking back in everyone is standing there looking at me.

"I don't know who well that will hold up in a fire," Herrmann says with a smirk.

"Yeah, I know. What did I do to deserve this?" I asked them

"Let's just say it's a little welcome gift, and also for being late." He said whilst trying to hold back his laughter.

"Very funny. Now, where are the bolt cutters?"

"I don't know but there are some spare uniforms in the back office." He told me.

With that, I picked up my bad and wanted a way to the back office. Walking in I found the box of spare uniforms. I sit there rummaging through the clothes I hear someone walk in.

"Great night a couple of nights ago." He said from behind me. It instantly made me smile. I turned around to face him.

"Yeah, it was a great night," I replied.

"Would you be o so nice to show me where a pair of cutters are?"

"Sorry, no can do my love the location of them is for me to know and you to find out." And with that, he walked out again.

I then had a thought I chucked on an oversize CFD shirt and walked into the locker room dropping my bag and then walking out to the Squad rig. There I was able to find a pair of bolt cutters. I soon returned to the locker room cut off the old lock opened my locker got changed, put my things in my locker and put my lock on. I then returned the cutters back to the Squad.

"what do you think you are doing in my squad?" I heard Severide ask.

"Oh... I was borrowing bolt cutters truck put a lock on my locker and hid their bolt cutters so I used these. I thought my big bros on the squad he would not mind." I told him

"Well, you caught me on my good day." He said with a wink and walked away.

And with that, I walked back into the common room where Herrmann's jaw dropped.

"How did you get your clothes?" he asked me

"Well, it helps to have a brother who is in charge of the squad and for people not to know and to not hide squads bolt cutters," I said with a smile as I walked over to the fridge.