1-1: Tristan Wright

Tristan nervously fiddled with the sheet of paper that contained the full outline of his speech, occasionally throwing a glance into the grand conference hall from the sideline of the stage. Although he couldn't see up the balcony, due to the spotlights, he could see the first few rows of the audience slowly filling up with honours students and occasionally a parent or two with them. It was a bit strange to remember that only a year ago he had been sitting on the other side.
A hand on his back nearly caused him to jump through the roof, just barely containing a yelp. He immediately looked around, only to see Killian grin at him.
"Bloody hell, stop scaring the piss out of me 'An." Tristan whispered as he held a hand over his pounding heart.
"What, you're not happy to see me? Figured you'd be so nervous, someone'd have to drag you out on stage."
"It's not that bad." Tristan mumbled back.
"You're shaking worse than a newborn deer in a freezer." Killian said as he pointed out Tristan's trembling hands. The latter just glared up, ready to snap back, but before he could Killian decided to get to the point. "I'm just here to say that you can do it. Deep breaths, eyes straight ahead and you'll ace this like your exams."
"I actually threw up before last examination." Tristan admitted, trying not to make eye contact with Killian, at least until he noticed him taking a large, sideways step. He raised a single eyebrow.
"Just a precaution." Killian gave him a hollow smile back. "You know what, I'll just join the others." With a point of his thumb backwards, Killian turned and left.
Now by himself, and slightly more miffed than before, Tristan shook his head and tutted. At least the annoyance did leave him somewhat less nervous.

Alright, here goes nothing. Tristan took a single, deep breath as he heard his name get called to the stage as the first speaker. He knew he wouldn't get anywhere with his nerves, so he left them off stage. The moment he took his first step up onto the main stage he'd already straightened out his posture, smiling enthusiastically and feigning a slight spring in his step as if the spotlight was his second home.
Despite his heart racing in his chest, he never let it get to his actions. He put his notes down and waited for the polite round of applause to die down before he spoke. Usually he was soft spoken, but through practise he knew how to give his voice the presence and weight required to keep the attention of an audience.
"Good evening, as said before, I am Tristan Wright, representative of the Oxford Debate Union, and for this presentation all extracurricular activities in general. But, before that, I want to congratulate you all on being accepted and making it here." As he had expected, the overzealous parents clapped and started the round of applause, so he simply joined in with a smile and his own claps.
Once the second round of applause had died down again, he continued his speech in a slightly more relaxed fashion. He leant on the lectern, and with perfect control loosened his tone and cadence so that his anecdote wouldn't appear too rehearsed.
"I have to admit though that when I was in my first year, I felt more overwhelmed than meant for greatness, despite all these speeches telling me otherwise. I got lost thrice on my first day, including trying to find my way back to my own student room. If you are like me, and from over a hundred miles away, you also had to leave your family and friends behind for this opportunity. For some it will be easier to make friends, but I remember that my first month here was rather lonely.
When you have been told you are the next leading scientists, CEOs, politicians, doctors and everything in between, it becomes difficult to admit that maybe you're lost, or afraid, or overwhelmed.
That is why I am honoured to represent the extracurricular activities: aside from being fun and educational, they also help new students find their place. Without the debate union, my first year would have been far more isolated."
He let his anecdote sink in for a moment as he sorted his notes and he turned to the university logo projected on the large screen behind him for the part where he actually presented the activities.
"I'm sure many of you probably have heard of the big, prestigious fellowships, such as debate, chess, polo and fencing," he referenced the names on the first slide, "but you're not confined to those at all. You can join various different sports, drama and art societies, and since last year there is even a board game club. Find a group as large or small as you like, competitive or just for fun, and give it a go.
Now sadly I haven't been allocated the time to give every activity the mention they deserve, so I will have to stick to the most popular activities, but the last slide contains a list that you can look over."