2-3: Texts

Tristan ate his lunch alone and in silence, hidden away in one of the smaller classrooms that weren't used as often. He usually took this time to make a start on his maths homework, since the material was still fresh and recent, but today he found himself responding to Hibiki's texts more often than he looked at his exercises.

H: So what do you do at debate?
Do you just argue topics?

T: Sort of. There is a topic each week that we debate about. As the prime minister I'm the first to speak, but I also do things behind the scenes. Such as organise our team for the international debates.

Tristan explained to Hibiki, while trying to figure out the solution to one particularly difficult exercise. He used a chewed on pencil to write, but then erased half of his answer again.
His phone buzzed, and he put his pencil back in his mouth, chewing on it mindlessly as he took a moment to chat with Hibiki and distract himself from his maths.

H: Oh cool
You're sort of a manager then?

T: Something like that.

H: Do you really like that?

T: It's not so bad, I like being organised.
It's neat and tidy, and it prevents any bad surprises.

H: I'd get bored really quick
Sometimes you just need to do something reckless
To shake things up, live a little?

T: Are you going to be that one bad friend that turns me into a petty criminal? The kind they warn you about on the telly?

H: I've never done anything illegal.

T: That's what they all say ;)

H: No, really
I do want to be a cop

That answer sort of surprised Tristan. He knew Hibiki's interest was in criminology, but he didn't know he actually wanted to work for the police.

T: Wouldn't you be a bit overqualified?
And if you're rich, why would you?

H: Well, I used to want to be a cop
When I was a kid
So I could catch all the evil criminals
Make the world a safe place?
But then I realised that it doesn't matter if you catch criminals if they go free again

T: How do you mean?

H: In Japan the courts only prosecute cases they are absolutely certain of, so very few cases ever go to trial
I figured that if I want to catch criminals and make a difference, I need to make sure the net is strong?
That maybe I can change the system a little instead, so more criminals get caught

T: That sounds like a good goal to have
I hope you'll manage to do that :)

He texted back, pleasantly surprised to hear Hibiki had such grand ambitions – especially ones that would improve the world. Although he was sure Hibiki wasn't the only one with good intentions, he also knew a fair amount of students who simply wanted secure their parents wealth, or carve out their own chunk of status.

H: Thanks (^_^)
What about you?
Are there any things you want to do?

T: Not that specifically.
I suppose I want to make this a better world in general? I'm not sure how I will get there yet, but
I want to make sure everyone is taken care of, and safe.
I know it's probably just silly, unattainable ideology, but everyone needs to start from some principle, right?