Chapter 18: Bravery

The Boyz were all congratulating each other and cheering backstage. Changmin saw Younghoon across the room. He began slowly walking towards him, feeling anxious, worried Younghoon might still be a little mad. He wanted to be hopeful, but you never know. Younghoon turned and saw Changmin walking towards him slowly. He smiled and ran up to him and hugged him tightly. Changmin's eyes went wide in shock but he soon shut them to take it in and hugged Younghoon back. He breathed in and took a sigh of relief. He dug his face into Younghoon's shoulder. It was real. It was him. Changmin felt like he could breathe again. Haknyeon caught a glimpse of the two boys and herded The Boyz into another area, with the help of Sunwoo of course. "Come on idiots, let's keep it moving! Or I'll sick IZ*ONE on you all!" 

"You heard Sun let's go, guys! We have to keep this area clear!"

Changmin looked around and realized he and Younghoon were now alone. He spoke, trying not to make things awkward between them. "Y--you came," Changmin quietly said to Younghoon. Younghoon looked at him affectionately, making Changmin turn bright red. Only he had this effect on him. "W--why?"

"I'm sorry," he suddenly said. Changmin looked deep into Younghoon's eyes and felt glued to him. "I was being so ignorant, so blind. I came to do what I really want to do and what makes me happy. As long as I'm happy, nothing else matters. You tried to teach me that, I was just being dumb and needed someone to show me the way."

Younghoon took hold of Changmin's two hands as he continued to sweetly look into his eyes. "B--but your father...your mother...her wish." Younghoon put his hand on Changmin's shoulder, then grabbed his cheek, yanking it playfully. "My mother's wish was for me to be happy...and right now I'm the happiest I've been. My father will get over it." The two were staring at each other deeply. Neither said a word but their connection was so strong, you could easily feel it. Younghoon suddenly returned Changmin's blush, and Changmin realized it was finally time. He began to speak, trying to finally muster up the courage and say how he feels. "Y--Younghoon...I--I lik--"

"Excuse me!" Suddenly two professionally-dressed ladies came running up to the two boys. "My name is Ailee and this my associate Jessi." The other woman, who was more intimidating, gave a slight smile. "We're representatives from Mnet School of the Arts." 

Changmin's jaw nearly dropped. "W-wait. Mnet School of the Arts? As in the biggest university for the arts in all of Korea!?"

 Ailee grinned. "Yes, that's us." 

Jessi then spoke. "You two boys and your group were very impressive. We'd love to see you dance again." Ailee continued. "So we're inviting you to perform again after the show...you never know we might just offer you a scholarship with admission into the school if you do just as good...maybe even better?" The two boys stared at the two women speechless. 

"So is that a yes?" Jessi asked bluntly.

Changmin and Younghoon looked at each other and smiled, then turned to the university officials. "Of course we'd lov--"

"Excuse my interruption but absolutely not!" Suddenly, Mr. Kim appeared out of nowhere with his secretary in tow. "Seolhyun go park the car!" he shouted as he pointed his secretary away. "These boys will not be stepping another foot on that stage! Absolutely not! Ji Changmin how dare you! Younghoon you're coming with me! The clients are waiting for you! How embarrassing for both of us!"

Changmin worriedly looked at Younghoon who was glaring at his father. He turned to the university officials, who were observing the situation in confusion and shock. Younghoon smiled. "Changmin and I would both love to perform for you again once the show clears out. Now would you excuse us so I could talk to my father?" The two officials nodded and walked away to go speak to other prospects.

Changmin stepped back as Younghoon looked back at his father, both looking angry. "Father enough! Changmin had nothing to do with this! I came here on my own free will. I respect you, but I just can't keep doing this anymore. I can't keep lying to myself and saying it'll get better. I want to dance and go to school for entertainment, not banking or business!"

Mr. Kim scoffed. "Younghoon we had this talk. Dancing will not make you success--"

"It will make me happy though! And doing something that makes me happy will lead to success eventually because I'll be living a life I want to! Mother wanted me to be happy and if I do what you want me to...I won't be! It's killing me and it has been for the past two years! I need to do something that I want for once dad. I understand if you don't support me, but I want to be happy for once. I haven't been this happy in so long. I need to do this. I want to be happy again."

Mr. Kim looked down looking upset, still glaring somewhat, but not saying a word. "I know this isn't what you want for me father, and I'm sorry for that, but this is what I want. I promise I'll make you and mom proud. I'm still going to work just as hard." Mr. Kim still didn't say a word. Younghoon took a hold of Changmin's hand. "Let's go." Changmin looked at Mr. Kim who still remained silent before walking off with Younghoon.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked, as Younghoon pulled him in tow. Younghoon smiled. "Yes. Don't worry about him, he'll get over it. Now let's go, we gotta tell the others and get ready to perform again!" Changmin smiled back at his crush. "After the encore," he thought. "That's when I'll confess," Changmin told himself. It was time for him to be brave just like Younghoon, and be honest after the performance. Things were finally looking up for the two, and it appeared that things  would only continue to improve.